Cleaning a ball lock keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennasbiotch

Reaction score
I need help! I am new to kegging and have been using a corny keg with the top that has a hole big enough to fit my arm in for cleaning. If I switch to a big commercial keg, say a Miller Lite, how do I compress the spring and ball to clean. I will include pics of the keg that is in question. I just want to have more beer, but have heard its next to impossible to clean one of these. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391047135.095711.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Try "cleaning sanke keg" in google/youtube, there are a couple videos on how to remove the spear and clean sankes.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Home Brew mobile app

I thought sanke kegs were dangerous for home Brewers because of the pressure required(not sure if that is right) that is why we all user corny kegs not sanke

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Beer is beer, carbonation levels are determined by temperature vs CO2 pressure same as always. Stainless steel Sanke kegs have tested to a burst pressure of 600 psi, while corny kegs are rated around 130psi - and come with PRVs that typically yield around 85psi.

Plastic Sanke kegs are a whole 'nuther story. They've failed burst testing (investigations performed as a result of a tragic incident as well as other non-lethal explosions) as low as 30 psi. I wouldn't touch one of those with someone else's 10 foot pole.

I think the reason why most hb'ers use corny kegs is the soda industry switched to BiB dispensing and a bazillion perfectly serviceable tanks were essentially looking for a new home - and were going dirt cheap "back in the day". Meanwhile, virtually all Sanke kegs belonged to breweries and as they're still the standard distribution vessel they weren't cheap to obtain legitimately...

Cheers!

Back