Clean your coffee carafe/mug with PBW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallDan

Internet Hobo - Sheepmaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I read somewhere a few weeks ago that PBW does a great job cleaning coffee residue. My carafe and travel mugs, all Stainless Steel on the inside are used very regularly (at least one of the three is used 5 days a week) and I never do more than rinse them after emptying. They all had a lot of coffee residue built up inside.

So a little earlier, I filled the carafe (about a half gallon) halfway with hot water, dumped in a half ounce of PBW, shook, filled the rest of the way with hot water and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Came back and dumped out some dark brown PBW water (it looked almost as dark as coffee) and it left behind a mostly clean carafe! Rinsed with hot water and it looks almost as good as new on the inside.

The first half of that still-warm PBW coffee-water was poured into my two travel mugs and given another 20 minutes to soak. They initially did not come out as clean, but a quick wipe with a paper towel left them sparkling as well. I'm sure it's just because the PBW had lost some effectiveness from cleaning the carafe.

If anyone else has some dirty carafes or mugs and tries this, post some before/after pictures! I didn't think of it until after it was done.

I have the Bunn Thermofresh and after 7 or 8 years of heavy use it's pretty stained up. I run it in the dishwasher but ya that doesn't seem to cut it anymore. Think I will take your advice and give it a try.

Can I ask what brand model carafe you have?

I have the Bunn Thermofresh and after 7 or 8 years of heavy use it's pretty stained up. I run it in the dishwasher but ya that doesn't seem to cut it anymore. Think I will take your advice and give it a try.

Can I ask what brand model carafe you have?

Mine is a Cater-Profi. It came with my Technivorm coffee maker when i bought it probably 10 years ago. I'm not sure that they're generally available here now, but I don't think there is anything all that special about it. I was thinking about replacing it before I saw how clean it got with PBW. :)

Back