Clean Out the Freezer IPA - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got some hops in the freezer that I need to use, and while I'd like to do a Mosaic-focused IPA, I'd like to use up some of the others as well. I'm afraid the BU:GU ratio may be a bit high, but tell me what you think. Here's what I've got so far:

6 gallons, BIAB, 73% efficiency

14 lb Maris Otter

.5 oz Bravo (15.5% AA, pellet) - FWH
.5 oz Mosaic (12.7% AA, pellet) - 15 min
1.0 oz Belma (12.1% AA, leaf) - 10 min
1.0 oz Belma (12.1% AA) - 5 min
1.0 oz Cascade (6.4% AA, pellet) - 5 min
1.0 oz Mosaic (12.7% AA) - 5 min
1.0 oz Belma - 0 min
1.0 oz Mosaic - 0 min
1.0 oz Belma - dry hop, 7 days
1.0 oz Mosaic - dry hop, 7 days

1 pack US-05

Mash: 154 for 60 min
Mash-out: 170 for 15 min
Boil: 60 min

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.012
IBU: 59.2
SRM: 5.7
BU:GU: 0.96

For judging maltiness/hoppiness, I use the colored spray chart from Biermuencher's Centennial Blonde recipe (and other places). You're way in the hoppy, so you should be fine.

Looks like you'll have medium body and some biscuitiness. I've read that Bravo can be harsh, so FWH seems like a sound choice. This looks good to me.

Looking at the chart, my hoppiness was, well, off the chart for the OG listed, so maybe I should cut back on the Bravo.

Having used Bravo in a SMaSH, I'd say it's kind of like a somewhat perfumy Columbus. I like it, but it can definitely be harsh.

Well, looking at some of the 5-star rated recipes in the recipe section, and even Jamil's recipe in Brewing Classic Styles, a lot of them seem to be close to 1.0 on the BU:GU. If I leave it as is, it's .96. Also considering doing .25 oz Bravo FWH and .75 oz Mosaic @ 15 min, which brings the ratio to .84, 59.2 IBU.

I think either would be okay, and I know there are other things to consider (final gravity, beta acids), but a lot of the ratio charts show AIPA at the .84 level. Personally I prefer less bitter, more flavor, but this will only be my third IPA, so I'm open to suggestions.

I've been doubling all my later additions lately if I have hops that are older.

The Mosaic are only a month or so old, the Belma less than a year. The Bravo is probably about 2 years, so that's the only one I'm worried about giving proper bitterness.

Back