Clean kegs again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Dude

Reaction score
About a month ago I cleaned 2 kegs, sanitized them with BTF, and sealed them up. Now, I am about to keg both of them and they smell a little funny, probably from having moisture in them and sitting for a month. Should I clean and sanitize them again or just put some BTF solution in there and siphon the beer and not worry about it?

Thanks for the input.

Always clean and sanitize if you suspect any issue. We're talking 5 gallons of beer per keg her. Two kegs is a month's work of beer. What's an hour or two more (30 minutes, for TWO kegs, Jaybird? Do you tear them right down?) in light of a month's worth of product?

Definitely clean and sanitize again. And remember to not use steel wool or any other metal pad, as it can embed itself in the SS.

(30 minutes, for TWO kegs, Jaybird? Do you tear them right down?) in light of a month's worth of product?

ya I tear them down and run a bristle through the dip tube, lube and put them back together and sanitize. I can tear 2 kegs down clean and put back together in about 20 min or so.
JJ

I actually emailed the tech support for Star San and asked if I could clean and sanitize my kegs and seal them up w/ star san so that they'd stay sanitary until use. This was the response:

I recommend cleaning the kegs with PBW. Rinse them and then sanitize right before you plan to fill them. If you want to sanitize them now and store them for a few weeks that is okay, but I would not store the Star San in the kegs. Sanitize the kegs, drain the solution and let it air dry, then close the kegs up and purge with CO2. Then fill any time.

Storing Star San in the kegs is not a good idea.

Jon Herskovits
Five Star Chemicals

Thanks guys. I cleaned and sanitized the kegs, racked into the kegs and just hooked up the CO2. I am really glad I did. After waiting months it would be stupid to skimp on the last half hour. Sometimes you know what the right thing to do is, but you just need that second voice to tell you.

depends how fast you're planning on drinking them :cross:

i've kegged plenty of beers right on top of empty kegs if i know they're getting finished over the weekend :D

not good practice, though...you should always clean them thoroughly if you're unsure
:mug:

Back