Clean In Place - Pump Recomendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas0420

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm putting together a 1BBL system and CIP is going to be part of the process. I'm looking for a pump that will handle 170* F, not get eaten away by StarSan/PBW/or any other normal brew cleaning chems, and be able to put out a respectable psi/flow rate to drive the spray ball.

I see that several of you use sump pumps but I haven't found any that claim high temps... I've been looking at lawn/sprinkler pumps too and sort of finding the same story.

Up until now, it has been elbow grease that did the cleaning, so I'm not sure that my high temp requirement is actually a requirement, but it seems to be the way the big boys do it.

Thoughts?

I read someone recently in a blog that made some sense in regards to finding the CIP ball first, contacting the manufacturer or read the specs for GPM etc., and then working your way back to the pump to get the setup right.. Morebeer use to sell one that went up to 250*F but was like $500 bucks.

Many of us use March 809 pumps in our breweries, and I don't know how much force you're hoping for, but they have been fine for my little 1/2 bbl system.

Thanks copbrew & yooper! Good advice. I have a sprayball on hand and did manage to find some specs on it... 30psi and a little over 3000GPH were where they benchmarked it.

I sold my 809 with my last system, but went back to March again with this one. I have a couple of different models that I haven't played with yet, so they might wind up doing the trick. Also came across a Flotec 1HP centrifugal pump since I posted this morning, and am eyeballing it... only rated to 140* F, but 49psi and 2820GPH. Debating a "warm" wash instead of a hot wash. :)

I'm sure like everything else, this will wind up being a "learning experience".

What fun would it be if not for the learning experience, lol. I guess as far as temperature go , the solution or chemical cleaner you are going to use will be a factor as well.

Using Five Star PBW as an example:  GENERAL USE DIRECTIONS

CIRCULATION CLEANING: Use 1 to 3 ounces per gallon depending on soil load.
Heat to 130° to 180° F for 30 minutes.

CARBON REMOVAL: Use 6 to 8 ounces per gallon of water. Heat to 140 ° F for 4
hours or allow to soak cold overnight.

When using P.B.W. in food processing areas the equipment that has been
cleaned must be rinsed with potable water. Just prior to use, sanitize the
equipment in accordance with public health standards.

I have seen CIP 100 and CIP 200 mentioned in boards for CIP systems as well, however I don't have any first hand knowledge of the temperature perameters. As you find solutions to these issues I would greatly appreciate it if you could periodically update this. I am looking at buying a conical, if the wife lets me, that has a compatible 3" TC fitting on top which can use a CIP ball in it.

Will absolutely do... I've been "building" for several months now and have no clue when I will actually get it to a point to brew, but I should have things far enough along to fiddle around with the pumps and sprayball inside the kettles in the next week or so I think. I went ahead and ordered the Flotec pump too, so I'll be able to compare that and the March pumps.

Good luck on the conical! That is on my to-do list at some point as well... I figure I should probably actually finish the first part and be able to brew first. :)

Latest posts

Back