Classic Pilsner but with English hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKnuckle

Reaction score
Having just come back from the LHBS with a bunch of Czech Saaz and an appropriate lager yeast to brew a Bohemian Pils, I had one of those moments where I question my well-laid plans.

I have a pile of slightly off kilter English hops that need to be used: Challenger, Whitbread Goldings, Phoenix, Progress (Fuggle, too). Is it too bizarre to think of brewing a nice crisp pils lager with some of these instead of the tried-and-true Saaz?

I Googled a bit but came up fairly empty. It seems to be one of those styles where tradition really takes center stage, which I understand. I love me some Saazy goodness, too.

Anyone brew something like this and care to report?

Won’t be bad but it won’t be a Pilsner. British hops are distinctively earthy, a quality not found in noble varieties.

Yes, I have brewed many English beers so I'm familiar with their indigenous hops, especially Goldings and Fuggle. Also I've brewed Bo Pils in the correct way before. I'm wondering if anyone has done what I'm referring to and has anecdotal results. Thanks!

Speaking from experience... try it but set expectations accordingly. In no way am I suggesting an inferior project, but it will be different.

I wish I kept bookmarks. Have you checked in Shut Up About Barclay Perkins? Before WW2 they used German hops in British lager, but it is likely that they would have switched to English hops during and after the war.

Pretty sure Schiehallion is made using challenger, it does also use noble hops though

Does not the earth shattering originality of Czech Pilsner rest within its brilliantly clear pale and somewhat red/orange hued color and low mineralization water combined with lagering induced malty smoothness, in a world of formerly all dark beers? By this standard I'm not certain that specifically Saaz hops, or any other hops for that matter, actually define what is a Czech Pilsner. Are we even 100% certain that the first Pilsner in 1841 - 1842 utilized Saaz, or for that matter, due to the prevalence for mutation, if what we call Saaz today is precisely what the Saaz of 1842 was like?

There are people today who are brewing things as wild as Citra Pilsner, so by comparison brewing a Czech Pilsner with Fuggle hops would seem rather mundane. So I say go for it. Particularly since Sterling hopped Czech style Pilsners have won top level awards, and Sterling is not even a noble hop.

But to the real snob the term Pilsner itself is the exclusive domain of Pilsner Urquell, or at the very least lagers brewed in the town of Plzen, or Pilsen, and no one else has the right to usurp it. It may still be that to this day nothing brewed in Czechoslovakia can be called Pilsner except Urquell and perhaps other lagers brewed in Plzen. And if Czechoslovakia could have its way, this would hold true worldwide rather than just nationwide.

Try it it may turn out nice.
I make a trillium inspired beer that is inspired by a kolsch. In no way is is a kolsch. It's cloudy and hoppy but is a delicious beer.

Latest posts

Back