clarity/priming sugar advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machiavelli

Reaction score
I'm on my 5th batch of beer and have been contemplating secondary fermentation, but most of what I've read on the internet says its not worth it; especially for a basic "ale kit."

I've read that you can just keep in the primary fermenter a bit longer and then take extra care when bottling.

This makes sense, BUT

What about when you add priming sugar right before bottling? I've always read that I had to stir it in well. Wouldnt that defeat the whole purpose of letting all the seditment settle before bottling?? Is there a better way to do this?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

M

Welcome! :mug:

I leave many beers in primary for three weeks or so, then bottle. But you don't simply stir in the sugar. that would resuspend all the gunk that settled out, as well as aerate the beer. You can boil the priming sugar in two cups of water, and then rack (siphon) the beer into a bottling bucket. It's a bucket with a spigot, and you use a bottling wand to fill each bottle. It works well, because it gets the beer off of the yeast and other stuff in the bottom of the fermenter, and since it's siphoned by putting the tubing on the bottom, it mixes up the priming solution and beer so you have even carbonation. Here's a picture: http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-6.html

Welcome! :mug:

I leave many beers in primary for three weeks or so, then bottle. But you don't simply stir in the sugar. that would resuspend all the gunk that settled out, as well as aerate the beer. You can boil the priming sugar in two cups of water, and then rack (siphon) the beer into a bottling bucket. It's a bucket with a spigot, and you use a bottling wand to fill each bottle. It works well, because it gets the beer off of the yeast and other stuff in the bottom of the fermenter, and since it's siphoned by putting the tubing on the bottom, it mixes up the priming solution and beer so you have even carbonation. Here's a picture: How to Brew - By John Palmer - Bottle Filling

Awesome...thanks!

I didnt know to rack into a different bucket for bottling...:drunk:
That certainly makes sense, though. Luckily for me, I left my "spigot" pail empty, so that will work out well!

Right, that's what the spigot is for.

If you have enough time to snag one, a bottling wand will make your life much easier for about $3. It's hella easier than trying to operate the spigot or use the hose clamp thingy.

Hey man,
yeah its good to put into a bottling bucket, however, it you don't have one of thsoe wands, i think this will work. I'm a painter (sometimes) and u should always strain your paint. They have these nice cloths to strain with but we've found a much cheaper way. Take a peice of nylon pantyhose and put over the rock catcher( thing that sucks paint from the paint bucket into the sprayer) and it will filter better than any store bought bs. I think you could do the same with your wort (or maybe its beer by now). Just put the piece of nylon pantyhose in your c-brite or other sanitizer then attach to the end of your bottling line. Pantyhose is amazing. Not only does it look sexy on women, but it is one hell of a filter. In fact, my brother in laws father attaches is over his water hose when washing off soap from washing his car. turns out, the panty hose has such a small flow that it will even filter out hard minerals in water and relieves you of water spots (he was one who applied for the patent but someone got it before him). I think it will work and I'm going to try using as a filter in between the siphon hose and bottling wand. Try it. I am. I'll let you know and you guys do the same.

mortimer

Doh....turns out I've got a bottling wand. I just wasnt sure what it was for. Thats gonna make things hella easier. I just tested it out at the faucet.

I'm gald I found this site!

Thanks all

I really havent done enough batches yet to know if the "stocking filter" would make a differnce, but Ill try it out on my next batch and compare. Good Idea.
I DID use a cloth grain net (Im sure it has a name) to filter my wort before pouring into fermenter though. That seemed to work well.

Back