City/Apartment dwellers...where do you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshamash

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just moved into an apt in DC. I have been brewing by my buddy in a suburb but want to move it here.

Where do people brew all-grain in an apt? Ally?

I have just started BIAB, but have been able to do full 6.5 - 7 gallon extract and partial mash boils on my stove. It takes a while to get it there, but it can be done!

Stove-top all grain brewer here. You might have to change your process a bit, but it is definitely possible.

I built a 2 vessel electric brewery in my apartment. Works great.

brewery.jpg

I live in NYC (well, Queens). I brew AG. I have a 10gal pot/mlt, a 7.5 gal pot for strike/spage water, and a short and stout 10gal SS pot as my BK. the bk can straddle two burners on my stove- that's why I got it short and wide. When I'm done brewing I take off all the ball valves, thermos, and sight glasses so the the 7.5 will fitin the mlt, the mlt will fit in be bk, this saves a lot of space.

I do 14.5 liter (3.8 gallon) AG BIAB batches on my stove. It does take a while to get it to a boil, but once there, it is very vigorous. I can almost hit two burners with the pot I have now, so I imagine if I had a wider pot, I could use two burners, and do "full" 5.5 ~ 6 gallon batches.

Propane BIAB on my patio. I'm in a 700 sq ft 1bd/1ba.

I ferment in my garage in a chest freezer.m

I have a 5-gallon MLT cooler and a 7.5 gallon kettle. I brew in the kitchen and use my stove. I Heat water in the kettle, sparge out the MLT into a bucket except for the last sparge; when I put the last of the sparge water into the MLT I dump the wort into the kettle then drain the last sparge right into the kettle. I use a heat stick along with the main burner to do full volume boils and don't have a problem. I can't do beers over about 1.060 or so without having to use some DME because my MLT and kettle just aren't big enough. Getting to full boil with the burner and heat stick takes about 20 minutes.

I leave all my crap at a buddies with a garage, then bring the fermenter back

Before I set up my outdoor rig, I did tons of 2.5-3 gallon AG batches in the kitchen and on the stovetop. I'm sure that would have worked in my old apartment.

EDIT: The only problem would have been space for the fermenters and temp controller, but I would have found a way.

Full boil 5.5 batches stovetop BIAB. Bit messy sometimes but still perfecting process..

14th floor, can't use propane on the balcony due to fire code, and I've only got an electric stove. So I've been doing BIAB partial-boil AG. Not ideal, but it works. But I ordered a kettle big enough to cover two burner elements (and hardware for a MLT), so with a little luck I might be able to do full boil.

you could always do it in the parking lot...only downfall would be no running water

I see some people are having problem reaching temperature with stovepot BIAB.

Had the same issue myself, but then I started heating up water in a 10 liter pot (fill it to around 8 liter), bring it to a boil, pour it in the big pot and repeat until I hit the level of water I need.

And when I've hit the level of water, it's almost always at the right temperature.

It's suprisingly faster, we usually do prep while one heats up the water - and the water is usually at the right temperature before the other person is done.

Oh, almost forgot to mention I measure up my water in a fermentation bucket.

Depends on the capabilities of your apartment is. I'd imagine my stove would have issues getting more than say 4 gallons to a boil so I do full extracts and 1 gallon BIAB. Setting up an electric brewery isn't an option (I'd get murdered) and I have no where to put a burner.

20L speidel braumeister, in the kitchen. expensive but very small footprint for both use and storage. if the weather is nice (almost never) i take it out on the rooftop patio

AG with a bag and a single batch sparge on a turkey fryer on my patio. My apartment is 580sqft and I still have room for my equipment, bottles, and kegerator.

all my equipment and fermentation fridge is in the patio storage, i can do about 10 gallons at a time with 2 120v elements in 2 keggles.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Back