Citrus type mead fermented super quick - Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Novice

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have recently been fermenting a citrus type of mead with tangerines and honey that on the first rack this week has almost reached the bottling stage.

Can mead with fruit in particular citrus ferment super quick like this or could something have gone wrong?

Temperature has been fine all the way through, yeast did activate as it was very busy for a while and everything was sterilised.

I tasted a little and no issues with the taste from my opinion, it seems a little watery at this stage but I am assuming that is normal so early on.

I am still planning a second and third rack as advised on the net.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Katy

Hello @brewnovice

Yes it can be done in a week but only under the "tight" conditions, or with a lot of good karma and luck. (Search the BOMM method or Groenfell Meadery Recipes as examples.)

We need a little more information to be able to adequately answer your question. (But ultimately it's done when it's done and if yours took a week and tastes OK then good for you!)
- Yeast used
- Amount of Honey (pounds) and water (volume) and Amount of tangerines (Pounds)
- Original Gravity (OG) and Gravity as it sits now.
- Nutrients used and or if utilizing a Nutrient protocol SNA, TOSNA 2.0 or 3.0.
- Temperature of your fermentation area.

Example: ("Right" conditions to get near completion in a week.)
If using Omega Hot Head liquid yeast (Others will work as well) with a Nutrient regimen like TOSNA 2.0 and enough honey to get an OG of 1.060 to 1.100 or so with fermentation temperatures of 75 - 90 Deg F and peeled and sliced tangerines. Then yes certainly can be done or nearly done in a week with little to no off flavors.

Conversely: Not necessarily wrong just a different approach. (Definitely will not be nearly done in a week)
If using Cote Des Blanc Yeast, with little or no nutrients, an OG of 1.120 and 60Deg F fermentation temperature with sliced tangerines and skin left on will typically take a month or more and require a good bit of age to be palatable.

Finally - I would suggest the reason it may be "watery" is you didn't use enough honey, tangerines or your ferment was so quick it blew all the flavor from the honey and tangerines out the airlock.

Back