Citra, Northern Brewer and Saphir for hops. Comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saffersa

Reaction score
Hey hey

I'm using Citra, Northern Brewer and Saphir for the 1st time, and would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Doing an 20L ale over the weekend, using: 2kg Pale ale malt, 1kg pale wheat malt, 2kg Vienna malt, and 500gr of probably Carapils, or Caramber if I decide to switch out on a whim.

Thinking of using: 30gr Citra at 5min boil, 5gr Citra at 15min boil,
15gr Northern Northern Brewer at 45min boil and 10gr of Saphir at flame-out/60 min.
Should put it at about 30 IBU.
Probably will also do a dry hop of Saphir 20gr.

Any suggestions?
Keep well

That is a very weird hop combo. Only thing I could think to make with that would be some sort of modern Pilsner. Northern brewer @ 70/40. Saphir at 15/WP. Dry hop with all the Citra.

That is a very weird hop combo. Only thing I could think to make with that would be some sort of modern Pilsner. Northern brewer @ 70/40. Saphir at 15/WP. Dry hop with all the Citra.
ditto. What are you trying to accomplish with this combo. Citra is far far more assertive than NB and Saphir

NB and saphir are great noble type type, saphir has some mild tangerine notes to go along with a refined noble hop flavor. NB has mild earth, resinous and floral character. These hops play well in traditional style beers. Citra is great for modern IPA's.

Hey hey
Thanks for the comment- these 3 hops came with a batch of other stuff I ordered, so I'd thought I'd see what the pundits think.
The homework since post also has me convinced to use just the NB and Saphir this batch. Will keep the Citra for a semi American C hops ale and use Citra, Cascade, Centennial and Mandarina Bavaria

ditto. What are you trying to accomplish with this combo. Citra is far far more assertive than NB and Saphir
Hey hey
Only a proposed combo- homework since post also has me convinced to use only NB and Saphir this time round.
Thanks for the breakdown re the hops.

Hey hey
Only a proposed combo- homework since post also has me convinced to use only NB and Saphir this time round.
Thanks for the breakdown re the hops.
No worries, let me know how it turns out. FYI, I think Saphir is a hugely underrated hop!!!

No worries, let me know how it turns out. FYI, I think Saphir is a hugely underrated hop!!!
Will do.
Have decided to see what 20gr NB@ 5min, 10gr NB and 10gr Saphir @45 min, 30 gr Saphir at FO tastes and smells like.
My first time using these hops so it's all fun and games for the next few brews.
Keep well

Will do.
Have decided to see what 20gr NB@ 5min, 10gr NB and 10gr Saphir @45 min, 30 gr Saphir at FO tastes and smells like.
My first time using these hops so it's all fun and games for the next few brews.
Keep well
Your hop timing seems a little strange as presented. The standard way to present hop additions is in the order that they are added to the kettle, and the time is how long they are boiled for. You're showing a 5 minute, then a 45 minute, then a flame out, so I can't tell if you are presenting the additions out of order, or are saying your 5 minute addition is 5 minutes after the start of the boil, and not 5 minutes from the end of the boil.

Keep us updated on how the beer turns out! :mug:

Latest posts

Back