Citra Hop for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I am brewing my first AG based off my PM IPA recipe. I want to tweak one thing to try something different. I ordered citra hops for this recipe and they only had it in whole hops everthing else I'm doing is pellets.

What would you do with the 1oz Citra - dry hop or late addition. Below is my current hoping schedule.

1oz Columbus (pellets) at 60min
.75oz Centennial (pellets) at 20 min
.50oz Centennial at 10 min
.50oz Centennail at 5 min
1.25oz Centennial at 0min

DH 1oz each of Columbus and Centennial

I made an all Citra pale ale. The late additions werw at 10' and flameout. I really liked the flavor. There wasn't much aroma so I'll do some dry hopping next time I make it. There was another thread just recently that discussed Citra. Some people like it alone, with other hops or not at all. I like it and think it works well for either flavor or aroma. However, until you try it for yourself you'll never know.

have a double IPA with Centennial at 60 and 20 minutes, cascade at 15 and 5. used 1 oz Citra and Cascade dry hop - has a nice tropical fruit character (pineapple and citrus). I haven't tried Citra for anything else though

I've had some commercial beers with citra and really like them. I want that tropicle aroma that citra gives off and some of the taste, but I really love the aroma. It is totally different than most IPA's. I think I am leaning on putting it in at flameout.

Since I have to do the ice bath method I should get some flavor since it will take some time to cool while having some aroma as well.

Let me know if I should just stick with DH though.

I really like Citra as an aroma hop too, but 1oz of leaf hops isn't going to do much. Make it the 5 minute boil addition and enjoy the aroma!

I ended up picking up an oz of citra pellets from my LHBS instead of using the whole hop. I think this is now going to be the schedule I shoot what do you think?

1oz columbus at 60
.50oz centennial at 20
.50oz centennial at 10
.50oz citra at 5
1oz centennail at 0min

DH: .5 citra / 1oz each of columbus and centennial

I ended up picking up an oz of citra pellets from my LHBS instead of using the whole hop. I think this is now going to be the schedule I shoot what do you think?

1oz columbus at 60
.50oz centennial at 20
.50oz centennial at 10
.50oz citra at 5
1oz centennail at 0min

DH: .5 citra / 1oz each of columbus and centennial

Looks like a good hop schedule. I really like the aroma that you get from citra hops. A lot of pineapple/grapefruit. I did a citra APA that was awesome. I also used American Ale II, which really brought out the sweetness of the hops. I am sure that you will enjoy this beer.

I make a wheat beer with Citra hops. I do the following:

1 oz @ 10'
.5 oz @ 5'
2.5 oz for dry hop

I love it.

PS - 1 oz Hallartauer @60'

Back