Circles in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like mold. How long has it been there? There is a lot of headspace in there, allowing oxygen loving microbes to take hold.

I'm still pretty new to brewing myself and was intrigued by this comment?
Does headspace factor into the possibility of infection?

I'm still pretty new to brewing myself and was intrigued by this comment?
Does headspace factor into the possibility of infection?

Headspace does not factor as much in primary fermentation, since the yeast are actively producing co2.
When using a secondary, headspace is a concern. It is a good idea to leave as little headspace as possible during secondary fermentation, since the yeast are less active and unable to keep away the nasties.

Looks like mold to me too.* How long has it been in there? Did you use sanitizer?

IPAs (as well as most other beers) don't need a secondary fermentation. Leave them in your fermentor until done and ready to package. Racking causes more harm than it does good, unless you know exactly when and how to do it, and do it right.

* EDIT:
I reassessed this.

Last edited:
I have had troubles with blowouts in the past with my partial mash/extract brews, so I decided to do a bucket fermentation until activity had settled and then transfer to a sealed carboy for the rest of the process.

Started at 1.062 - hit 1.012, the final gravity, in 4 days. Decided to rack it. I was hopeful of using the same fermentation bucket to start another beer on my list this weekend. As I said, there is a pretty good possibility that I transferred way too soon. It has only been in secondary for 36 hours. I have a reputation for using too much sanitizer.

As I stated before, this was my first home brew. The headspace was unwanted. I learned that my burner/keggle combo burns off 1.6 gal/hour.

Nothing wrong with using buckets, easy to clean, easy to store, almost unbreakable, and come with a handle. If possible, it's best to leave the lid on at all times, until ready to package. If you need to take a sample you can suck some out through the airlock hole in the lid, using a piece of skinny tubing with or without a large syringe.

If you need to dry hop, or add other stuff, you'll have little choice but to remove the lid. This will blow off all the protective CO2 from the headspace, and fill it with air. That air can cause infections but much more likely, oxidation of the beer. There really is no simple answer to remedy that, except for racking into a carboy and leave very little headspace, 1-2" under the bung, or rack to a keg that can be purged with CO2. If you have CO2 available, the bucket's headspace can be flushed with it, to rid of most air (oxygen).

Before removing the lid, the whole lid area should be clean and sanitized. Mop around with a small washcloth drenched in Starsan and/or use a spray bottle with Starsan. Pay special attention to the rim area. It's difficult to sanitize too much, but easy to forget a small patch or area. After removing the lid, I always wipe the bucket rim with said washcloth.

Revisiting the "mold:"
Rethinking my earlier statement about it being mold, I would be very surprised to see mold develop that fast. Possibly it's foam from the yeast. That beer may not be quite done yet, or it's simply outgassing. It's probably safe, so you can relax about that. The large headspace is still a bit of an issue, nothing you can do about that now.

For next time, leave that beer in the bucket until ready to bottle/keg. Get another bucket to stagger your fermentations.

It's hard to tell in the picture but if it's fuzzy, it's mold. And if it's mold, dump it.

At first the patches in the front looked 3-dimensional and fuzzy, but looking at the ones on the left, they are flat, and more foam-like. Mold takes quite a few days to get a foothold, definitely more than 36 hours.

I'm now voting for foam, not mold.

I'd be surprised if residual yeast activity would develop krausen that white in a wort that dark. I'd keep an eye on that before taste testing it.

I'd be surprised if residual yeast activity would develop krausen that white in a wort that dark. I'd keep an eye on that before taste testing it.

Not a full krausen development, just a little activity, I've seen it before. I've read people fishing out the mold rafts, which is hard to do in a carboy, or racking from underneath. Mold is typically contained like that in the beginning.

If its foam, it will diminish. If its mold it will visibly grow right?

Yes! That will probably be the best assessment.

Back