cinnamon and vanilla beans in a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthMoonBrewing

Reaction score
What have you all used in amounts for cinnamon and for vanilla beans for those flavors to really stand out in a stout.

5 gallon batch.

I'll report back, but my research seemed to indicate 2 beans and 2 cin sticks in... also had lactose though. I've had 2 beans in a milkshake IPA and it was too much, but i'm thinking you may need a bit more for a stout (1.080sg)

depends where yo are using it. 1tsp cinnamon in boil is noticable 1 vanilla bean soaked in vodka for a few weeks is often enough in the keg.

I find using tinctures is an easier way to go post boil. I put 2 tsp cinnamon in a half pint mason jar filled with vodka. i let that soak shaking occasionally for a couple weeks and use it it titrate a sample of the beer then I scale it up for the batch. generally 1 tbs of high quality vanilla extract per 5 gallons or 1-2 beans soaked in just enough vodka to cover the beans is enough. If you have a tj maxx, home goods or marshalls in your area they often have Massey vanilla for $8 a bottle its $20+ at williams and sonoma and works great at 1 tbs per 5g.

Back