Cigarettes Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been rolling my own for years...filtered light tubes and all kinds of different tobacco. It's probably 10% the cost. I'm far to cheap to buy em anymore.

frunkasduck said:
I spend $6 on a pack every two days. you think rolling my own be a good option?

You can try it for pretty cheap and see if you like it. I can roll a pack in under 10 minutes so it's not a big time investment. You should be able to save about $600 a year...that will buy some nice beer stuff!

You can try it for pretty cheap and see if you like it. I can roll a pack in under 10 minutes so it's not a big time investment. You should be able to save about $600 a year...that will buy some nice beer stuff!

that's some pretty big numbers! i'l definitely check it out, thanks!

frunkasduck said:
that's some pretty big numbers! i'l definitely check it out, thanks!

You bet. The best injecting roller I have found is a Gizeh made in Germany. It's not expensive maybe $10 but it works much better than others and may save some frustration getting started.

Experiment with small pouches of tobacco. You will find one you like. I use mostly pipe tobacco. It's a little courser cut but cheaper and works just fine.

lschiavo and frunkasduck - a great resource is ryomagazine.com

There are great reviews on tobacco/tubes/machines etc.
lschiavo, do yourself a favor and get a crank style injector (the Gizeh is a slide I assume?) The Premier Supermatic and the Top-O-Matic are both all metal stout machines that will last years. Both retail at about $45. I used the Supermatic for about 6 years and it paid for itself. I recently bought the Powermatic II electric injector and I love it.

frunkasduck - I pay about $12 for a lb of tobacco ( 2 cartons ) and about 2.50 for 200 tubes - so about $9 per carton. All it takes is time to stuff 'em.
BTW "pipe" tobacco is just cigarette tobacco labeled as "pipe" tobacco because the government raised the tax on loose cigarette tobacco A LOT but not pipe tobacco so the companies labeled it as pipe tobacco to get around raising the prices, but I'm sure that will change eventually.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Rerun said:
BTW "pipe" tobacco is just cigarette tobacco labeled as "pipe" tobacco because the government raised the tax on loose cigarette tobacco A LOT but not pipe tobacco so the companies labeled it as pipe tobacco to get around raising the prices, but I'm sure that will change eventually.
Ryan

Shhhh...lets keep that a secret;)

I roll mobile (foldgers coffee can with tobacco, tubes and my slider) so the big machines aren't for me. I have seen them and they seem to work great though.

I tried corncobs to get me off of regular smokes, but I could never get used to the amount of work to get a good smoke going (plus the fact that I couldn't inhale....). I would up switching from Camel Turkish Silvers to American Spirits, and to be honest, they're the only smoke that never left me with gobs of lung butter at the end of the day. If there's something to be said about organically grown tobacco...

In my hippy college days (go ahead, throw stuff at me) I would buy a pouch of Samson and then spend an hour with a rolling machine and a bag of filters from the head shop. Now that I'm officially a quitter, THOSE cheapos are amongst the ones I miss the most.

I smoked for yeasr, I can remeber back when they where 75 cents a pack. Smoked two packs a day for twenty plus years, just quit about a year ago, when it was costing me 5000 a year, have better things to do with my time, money and health.

Just stop buying them.

Rerun said:
Ryan

As a pipe smoker, I have to say that this is not 100% true. There is a big difference between tobacco for pipes, and tobacco for cigarettes. If you walk into a store and ask for pipe tobacco, 99% of the time you're going to get long cut, moist, pipe tobacco. It'll burn in your cigs but it is not the same thing.

When I smoked I started with camel reds, then camels, then camel lights, then whatever the turkish ones were, then I switched to marlboro menthol lights before I quit because they were less enjoyable to smoke so I smoked less. Then I switched to the short marlboro lights. 72s? They are dumb to smoke since you're paying the price of regular sized smokes for less tobacco but it helped cut down the nicotine intake until I quit. Now I smoke the occasional cigar or hookah and on rare occasions I bum smokes off people when I drink too much.

I quit 5 years ago this June. Now I run a tobacco cessation program.

I won't get preachy here, but I will recommend that you quit. Why? Because you can actually taste your beer better afterward.

You are totally right JohnnyO. I had smoked daily for a few months, mostly as a stress habit, then decided to just stop. I stopped, and things started to taste a bit better again

You are totally right JohnnyO. I had smoked daily for a few months, mostly as a stress habit, then decided to just stop. I stopped, and things started to taste a bit better again

It was one of those things that helped me quit. I could smell and taste food again.

I've been a non-smoker for over 2 years now and I have to say, its so easy to start and so hard to quit. I can't really say I got enough out of it to do it again if I had a time machine.

I will say, I miss it sooooo much. Kind of like a hot ex girlfriend who breaks your heart and takes your money.

I quit smoking when it got too expensive. They raised the price of a pack from $.35 to $.40. My total smoking habit lasted a couple of months.

IMO anyone under the age of 50 that smokes is a FOOL. There has been 70-80 years of building proof that it is somewhere between VERY unhealthy to DEADLY.

FIND A WAY TO QUIT!

For me, when someone told me to quit it sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher. A lot of non-descript noise. The NYC add campaigns with the amputee and the "Thetruth.com" campaign were no better, just made me angry that they were trying to tell me what to do. Until you quit everyone telling you to quit sounds like a nun teaching sex-ed... what the hell do they know? Basically, I think the only things that work, unfortunately, and I hate hate hate saying this, is making it more difficult for smokers to smoke. No words, no campaigns, just higher prices and fines when you smoke in public buildings. Having resources available (but not jammed down a smoker's throat) is helpful too.

My favorites are camel 99 full flavor. I also like Marlboro Virginia blend, and there 27's. Also american spirits are awesome.

Odd thread I must say. Everyone should quit smoking... I smoke Parliament Lights (I still call them that but I don't know what the official name is now that they changed the law). Used to smoke American Spirits but around here they are always old and stale (no preservatives ya know) and before that I rolled my own, but again can't get decent fresh tobacco around here.

when I smoked I liked marlboro smooths and menthol lights. I finally quite 3 years ago after 5 years of smoking. I smoked when I met my wife and she didn't seem to mind it too much at first, but after being married a few years it really became a source of contention due to the health effects. I quit for good once it started affecting my health and life. I didn't even smoke that much (maybe 5-6 a day at most) but I started to see the negative effects. Compound that with the price and the restrictions on it, it really became quite easy for me.

I'm a quitter. Anyone ever try the Smoker's choice "little cigars"? I see them in the gas station at about $2 versus $7 for Marlboro's.

I never smoked so I have no idea how hard it is to quit. I imagine like quitting drinking completly or giving up you favorite food for life just because it is not good for you. I did smoke some tobacco I grew once and I have to say it did have a relaxing affect on me.

My brother in law smoked all his life, he is about 60 and dying of lung cancer now.

Thought this was going to be a smokers thread not a quitters thread! I still smoke and enjoy it! Everyone dies of something. I'm 56 still smoke (since I was 9) still drink (mostly my own brew) And yes I still chase wild women (and some not so wild) my point I die tomorrow I've done everything that I ever wanted to do. Live your own life and let others live theirs!!

I'm a quitter. Anyone ever try the Smoker's choice "little cigars"? I see them in the gas station at about $2 versus $7 for Marlboro's.

Be cautious of those. They tend to have more tar, nicotine and other pollutants in them than cigarettes.

Thought this was going to be a smokers thread not a quitters thread! I still smoke and enjoy it! Everyone dies of something. I'm 56 still smoke (since I was 9) still drink (mostly my own brew) And yes I still chase wild women (and some not so wild) my point I die tomorrow I've done everything that I ever wanted to do. Live your own life and let others live theirs!!

Just because someone else decided to quit doesn't mean that they're telling you that you have to. That is just your own guilt implying that. If you want to continue to smoke, go ahead. That's your choice.

I smoked for about ten years from high school till a few years after college. Went from: Pall Mall to Marlboro red box to Marlboro lights to Vantage to quit. I was a casual smoker, about a half pack a day at the most.

I got my Wife to quit about two years ago. She'd have two cigarettes a day, one in the morning and one at night. She was pretty much quit from the previous five years before that but just couldn't give up the last two cigarettes for a while. Now she's done.

E-cigs are very popular in our area here in Jacksonville, with kiosks even popping up in the mall selling them. I'd be a little wary of inhaling food grade propyline glycol, which is probably healthier than the couple of hundred carcinogens in tobacco, but still... it can cause liver and kidney damage.

I guess it's trendy to "vape" instead of smoke.

I quit in fall of 09 with an ecigarette, and loved them so much within 6 months I opened a small hobby shop online to sell ingredients for "DIY"-ing your own liquid ( homebrewing would be as appropriate a word, and would probably cause fewer English teachers to faint)
6 months in on the hobby shop, and I left my day job and made a full go of it. I love what I do, and feel good about spreading the word about Vaping as an alternative to smoking.
Btw- propylene glycol is in many food stuffs, and used to keep tobacco moist as well. You're already inhaling it when you smoke. PG is also used in many formulary medications, asthma inhalers and nebulizers, and has been piped into hospital ventilation systems since the 40's as a potent and safe bacterial and viral disinfectant. You'd have to drink or inject massive quantities (more than you drink beer) to damage your organs, unless you're a cat (dogs are fine though)
That's also why PG is typically used as RV and boat antifreeze- safe, and barely more expensive than its poisonous cousin diethylene glycol.

When I lived in the Nashville area for about a year in the late 1970's if you knew where to go you could get cigarettes for .29cents a pack ... name brand too. A carton was $2.90 ... missed the tax man somehow so I was told.

Anyone who smokes cigarettes now a days is crazy. Not just the health issue, but they now get $9/pack out of you (here in NY) and its just disgusting. I am speaking on that, because I USED to smoke 6 years ago. I will have an occasional small cigar or pipe, but not very often. Once a month tops. Will never touch a cigarette again. Ever.

You can keep smoking if you want, but every time I hop on my bicycle, go for a walk, go snowshoeing, kayaking, etc, I remember why I like to keep my lungs clear!

By the way, quitting is not as impossible as they make it seem, however you do need to WANT to quit, or you never will.

When I quit quitting (ie when I was finally weaning myself off the nic lozenges) I had a brief relapse with Marlboro Snus. Its the first time I ever hid anything from SWMBO.

They had the added pleasures of fissures on my gums and inner lip and at least one occassion where I poisoned myself and vomited. When I would overdose... on tobacco... which happened often with these things, I would get a mild case of the shakes and would sweat profusely.

Either the tobacco companies are sticking up for the rights of their customers by providing a product that can be used in public without being unsightly or causing smoke or... far more likely... they found an evil way to continue bringing in revenue selling a poison around current adversity.

SWMBO and I have each been smoking more than a decade. I'm partial to Marlboro Reds, but usually end up with the Special Blends cause (at least for now) they're a lot cheaper. But SWMBO just got the Welbutrin prescription to help her quit. So I guess I'm going to have to quit too. I've tried a couple times to quit in the past and failed miserably. Last time I tried, I'm lucky I didn't end up in jail. Hah.

I've long been of the mind that the anti-smoking ads, often funded by the tobacco companies for tax discounts, are just a way of advertising cigarettes on TV legally. They don't make me want to quit. They make me want a cigarette.

I don't always smoke cigarettes, but when I do I smoke Dunhills or Davidoffs.

Wait.. are you that most interesting man in the world guy, who doesn't always drink beer but when he does it's Dos Equis?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back