ciders i started this year.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarzanchuck

Reaction score
so i have 22 gallons going in 4 batches. first is a perry with honey and done with red star dry champagne. sg 1.065

next is apple with honey. sg 1.07 wyeast sweet mead.

third is a blackberry cider. about 5 lbs of berries and honey sg 1.075.

last is an asian pear melomel. this is the one im most interested in. was able to get about 100 pounds of asian pears. thr juice was light and sweet. honey to get an sg of 1.09.

so far pear was just racked at 1.000. tasty but with some sulphr taste. already got some advice on that though.

Wow very nice variety, I'm definitely interested, subscribed! Do you have any experience with other fruit wines?

I did a similar Asian pear + honey wine a few years ago, o.g. 1.100 and bottled with priming sugar for carbonation. It is outstanding, especially with time.

@ itsroz: ive done a few things from concentrate but cider is the only thing ive done consistently with fresh fruit. i have plans for a pear mead and a blackberry wine from fruit i picked this summer. it is currently in the freezer. i have too many other things frementing right now.

after i origonally posted this a friend called me and asked if i wanted some conchord juice she had pressed and was trying to get rid of. 8 gallons total. had to add about 10 pounds of sugar to get it up to 1.09 sg.

what do u have brewing currently?

@failing: thats awesome! i tested the gravity recently (down to 1.045) and it tasted amazing.

So I went apple picking w my gf in late sept, got 2 bushels, 1/2 was golden delicious, 1/2 was like Fuji, 1/2 was red delicious and 1/2 was some weird mix of jonogold and like gala or something.

In any case, I juiced about 1.5 bushels and it yielded almost 6.5 gallons, I pitched champagne yeast along with 2 pounds of sugar in the raw.

The remaining half was pretty much golden delicious and some weird ones that I didn't wanna use since I didn't know what they were, so I juiced them and it yielded a gallon.
I got a little crazy and added about a quarter pound of brown sugar and like 2.5 oz of agave nectar, then pitched (accidentally) 3/4 a tube of Belgian strong ale yeast.

THEN, I went out and grabbed a half gallon of shop rite natural pasteurized unfiltered, and pitched pitched the remainder (1/4) of the tube of Belgian yeast i had, and that's working.

AND since I racked the big batch Into secondary, I'm stocking up on gallon jugs of 365 brand apple juice to make a brand new 7 gallon batch when my LHBS gets yeast back in stock.

Oh. And I forgot to mention, while my measurements are recorded pretty well, I broke my hydrometer when I was sanitizing it for the second batch, so all but the first are **psychic brewing** :)

love doing it from apples i oressed myself.

all the cider i have is mixed varieties. me and my buddies got about 1200 pounds of apples and pears for free from people with trees. didnt pay for a single apple.

psychic brewing lol

washington state. its amazing how many people have apple trees and dont use the apples around here.

Back