Cider/Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaDuds

Reaction score
It's my first time making hard cider, and I've been doing a lot of reading so my first experience doesn't turn out horribly. I noticed how helpful this forum seems to be to newcomers, so I figured I'd ask a few questions.

I've seen quite a few "How To"s and several recommend adding yeast nutrient. How necessary is this to get fermentation started? I'll be using store bought cider. [pasteurized, no preservatives]

Also, any recommendations on yeasts for a first-timer? Most "How To"s said RedStar Champagne yeast, but as I've seen around this forum, most people use others. I noticed a few people prefer Nottingham Ale yeast?

Thanks!

Thanks JLem! I actually read a bit of that one, but after reading the whole thing now I think I'll buy a few of his favorite yeasts and try them all eventually. As for the nutrients, is it necessary?

I don't know. I used some in my first batch and it fermented well. I did not use any in my second batch and it's been fermenting just fine, but then again, I haven't checked its gravity yet so I don't know how well the fermentation is going.

My gut tells me that it is not necessary, but I have no empirical evidence to back that up.

^^^ do you ferment the safale at the regular ale temps?

or a little lower actually. 50-60F works well. the fermentation will be slower, but it will finish less dry, especially if you cold crash it at a desired SG (usually around 1.010 is good). Overall, it seems to produce a superior product at or under 60F.

I dont use nutrient and my stuff always turns out nice.

and +1 on on low fermentation temp. 60 works great with S04 or Notty.

Wow, thanks a lot, very helpful! I think I'll skip the nutrients this time, maybe experiment with them down the road just for shiggles. I'm going to use Notty for my first batch and champagne yeast for my second.

thats a really good way to approach it. Because you will have the extremes in yeast styles to compare.

+1 on all of the above. I've used notty and S04, personally I like s04 but a lot of people around here agree that ale yeast turns out better. I'd love to be able to ferment at 60-65, can only imagine how much better that would be for my cider. that said it doesn't turn out badly at say 70 but it is for one thing easier to control when to cold crash at a lower temp. nutrients add nitrogen which results in faster fermenation/less chance of stuck fermentation, unless you plan to ferment to dryness then you don't want to do that.

About how soon after pitching would you typically see activity with Notty at about 60 degrees? I'm used to using that yeast at around 67 and typically get activity in 12 hours. I've got some cider sitting at 60 degrees now and three days into it no activity. I think I'm gonna pitch another packet

Back