Cider turning dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yensmp

Reaction score
My second batch of cider from scratch has turned a dark brown colour after bottling. It still tastes fine but I'm perplexed. I juiced the apples in September 2013, heat pasteurized the cider, added yeast. The only thing I can think of that I did differently from the first batch is that I added a MLF culture. I left the cider in the carboy for 9 mo. When I bottled it, it was perhaps a somewhat deeper colour than the first year's cider which was a pale yellow colour. After leaving it to bottle condition and then stove top pasteurizing about 3 weeks later, I started drinking them. The first few were what I would call a normal colour, but the last several have been about the colour of a Newcastle Brown Ale. Anyone have any idea what would be causing this? Anyone had a similar experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Probably oxidized, will start to taste worse over time. You might want to consider some potassium metabisulfites to help keep from oxidizing next batch. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back