Cider to vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmarksbury

Reaction score
About a year ago I made a batch of pear cider... Which turned out quite nice. I have a 3 gallon carboy remaining that I have not bottles yet. I suspect that I have aceter bacteria (sp?) As I am smelling some off aromas and semi-vinegary.

I am afraid it may be lost. Has anyone successfully turned their wine into vinegar? I figure maybe I can turn something bad into something good... Thoughts?

I have made a few batches of cider vinegars with very tasty results. There are unpasteurized ciders st the grocery store you use as guaranteed source of starter.

Taste it to be sure that it is in fact, bad. If it's already soured, not sure how much difference adding some bugs is going to do, but it's always wroth a try.

I have made a few batches of cider vinegars with very tasty results. There are unpasteurized ciders st the grocery store you use as guaranteed source of starter.

Bragg Unpasteurized Cider Vinegar!
I'm doing both a malted apple and apple cider vinegar using it. Damned fruitflies love it, so you gotta cover it well. When the cooler weather comes, the little bastidges will stop pestering me. I've got two gallons ready and waiting.

Latest posts

Back