Cider Time Again!! Back Sweetener Question - Concentrate vs. Juice vs. Farm Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeToX

Reaction score
It's that time again and I was thinking of going a new route this season with my cider. We recently had an Orchard open up that is selling "Cider" by the gallon. The fresh pressed stuff that's not pasteurized. I would like to do a 5 gallon batch for the Mrs, but had a question...

I was looking to ferment 4 gallons of the fresh pressed cider from the Orchard, lightly simmered to kill the "bugs" as normal, then add a back sweetener to up it to the 5 gallons. Here's the question.

Could a 5th gallon of fresh pressed Orchard cider be used as a back sweetener or would it be better (flavor/sweet-wise) to use a concentrate, or even a juice?

It's going right from carboy to keg so I have no issues with pasteurizing, etc. Carb'd just like I would a light ale.

What do ya'll think?

Cheers

Why are you simmering it and driving off those fresh apple cider flavors when you can just add 1/4 tsp potassium metabisulfite to the fresh cider to knock out all the bad bugs? What is the point of it being fresh if you cook it? If you backsweeten with a little bit of honey the Mrs will let you make anything you want after that. WVMJ

Well, I wasn't so much looking for to get into all of that. I was just looking for some answers but since you ask...

The reason I simmer the "cider" prior to pitching the yeast is for a few of reasons.
And when I say simmer, I mean nothing above 145*-150*. More like mash. But, it's to

1) To eliminate all the bad mojo that may be in the liquid that could hinder the fermentation process - i.e. natural yeasts, etc.

2) this is the time that I add in my goodies & sugar and do a warm steep to marry all of the combined ingredients and help dissolve the sugars so that they are evenly distributed throughout the liquid.

3) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - It is time that I can share with the wife and she is able to feel like she is really part of the process since, after all, it's for her anyway. So, I let her watch the temps, mix the ingredients, and just let her feel like a master brewer for 30 minutes. A happy wife leads to a worry free brew party with the boys, ya know.

That's why I simmer prior to pitching...

Now, back to the question at hand - anyone have any comments on what is the best course for a back sweetener if were using the fresh pressed orchard cider?

And to WV - how much honey you talking for 5 gallons?

Good vid but it doesn't really cover options for back sweetening. He only touched on a wine sweetener & a small dose of concentrate.

Basically left it wide open...

Still looking for experience using another gallon of cider/apple juice, or some frozen concentrate.

I have been back sweetening with concentrate and have had good results.
I use about 1 can per gallon to get the sweetness SWMBO likes.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.....

All your simmering reasons are nice, but a better quality product for your queen is even better, let her help you bottle:) I make cysers, start off with about 4-5 quarts from the start, let it eat that up and depending on where it stops might only need to add a couple of cups to get the finished gravity up to 1.01-1.02, but these are still cysers so it might not help you out. WVMJ

Concentrate will not dilute your cider and alcohol content like juice would. But starting with fresh orchard cider like you are you don't need to add more apple flavor, so you're free to use whatever sweetener you like. Take your pick... brown sugar, honey, whatever. Sweeten to taste at bottling time, add a little at a time and taste often. Let the wife be your taste tester, it'll be fun.

FWIW I use Xylo-Sweet organic non fermentable sugar and for the level of sweetness that I like it only takes about 3 tablespoons per gallon. Let your palate be your guide.

Back