Cider taste and smell AFTER carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgw24

Reaction score
I've had two batches of beer turn cidery, but only after carbonating. Out of the fermenter they were great. The stout tasted like a stout and the IPA tasted like an IPA before carbonation. I bottle primed the stout and force carbonated the IPA. After two weeks they both taste and smell like cider. I paid close attention to being very sanitary throughout the whole process. Both batches were fermented at 72 degrees- but if this was the cause, wouldn't the cider taste be present out of the fermenter?

Do I have any options at this point? Both batches are carbonated and chilled. What would be the better course of action?

1. Let them sit as they are

2. Warm back up and let sit for more time. I can depressurize the IPA- it's in a keg, but the stout can't really be de-carbonated since it is bottled. Does that matter?

I did a ton of searching and found that the cause is probably- contamination, wrong sugars used for bottle priming (wouldn't apply to the IPA), or too high fermentation temp. That's great, but can I fix it from here?

Any help would be appreciated.

I've had two batches of beer turn cidery, but only after carbonating. Out of the fermenter they were great. The stout tasted like a stout and the IPA tasted like an IPA before carbonation. I bottle primed the stout and force carbonated the IPA. After two weeks they both taste and smell like cider. I paid close attention to being very sanitary throughout the whole process. Both batches were fermented at 72 degrees- but if this was the cause, wouldn't the cider taste be present out of the fermenter?

Do I have any options at this point? Both batches are carbonated and chilled. What would be the better course of action?

1. Let them sit as they are

2. Warm back up and let sit for more time. I can depressurize the IPA- it's in a keg, but the stout can't really be de-carbonated since it is bottled. Does that matter?

I did a ton of searching and found that the cause is probably- contamination, wrong sugars used for bottle priming (wouldn't apply to the IPA), or too high fermentation temp. That's great, but can I fix it from here?

Any help would be appreciated.

There a couple of things that can cause a "cider" flavor. the first is simply being "green beer". That means a young beer, that still has acetaldehyde flavor present. That's a good thing- it'll age out quite readily, and disappear. It's very common in a young beer. Aging it at room temperature will fix it faster than fridge temps.

Of course, infection with acetero bacter (vinegar) can cause it but it gets worse, not better, with time. If you don't have a "sour" taste to it, that's not it.

No sour taste. It must just be green. I'm curious why it was only present after carbonation though...

Should I depressurize the IPA and put it back at room temp, or leave it the way it carb'd and put back at room temp?

No sour taste. It must just be green. I'm curious why it was only present after carbonation though...

Should I depressurize the IPA and put it back at room temp, or leave it the way it is?

Leave it the way it is, or bring it out to room temperature for faster aging. No need to depressurize!

Latest posts

Back