Cider Smells VERY yeasty in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rialaigh

Reaction score
I have 3 batches of cider going (1 gallon each), this is my first attempt. I used store bought organic cider, added a bit of brown sugar (about a half a cup per gallon), and threw the yeast in (1/5th of a packet for each gallon). I let it sit in primary for 2 weeks, and had a solid half an inch to an inch of stuff on the bottom of each bottle. I sanitized (best I know how...brand new) 3 fresh bottles and transfered it all over, it has been sitting in secondary for about 2 weeks. I popped the airlock on one to take a wiff and taste and it has a very strong yeast smell. Taste ehhh at best, it is completely dry, what concerns me is the yeast smell, very very strong. I plan on letting it sit in secondary for another week or two (it has about 1/4 inch of sediment on the bottom right now, and maybe reracking or should I go straight to bottle...or is it ruined? Taste is ehh at best right now

sounds like your yeast is still settling out, time is your friend, rack it off the lee's again and let it sit and continue clearing that smell will fall out.

sounds like your yeast is still settling out, time is your friend, rack it off the lee's again and let it sit and continue clearing that smell will fall out.

Sounds great, I used a very thick cloudy cider off the start...not sure if that has anything to do with it

Keep in mind that 1/5 of a package is really underpitching for a gallon, and stressed yeast will often have unusual smells including "yeasty". Normally you'd use a whole 5 gram package for 1-5 gallons.

My best results with cider and using ale yeast are always from using a half a pack for each gallon.

Sounds great, I will make sure to use at least half a pack from now on on each gallon

Back