Cider recipe from a dream

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nekrowizard

Reaction score
First time cider brewer. I have some experience with beer and mead. A couple weeks ago I had a wonderful dream where I visited a friend's dream cidery, and she gave me a glass of cider, and it was delicious. Lightly colored, smelled fruity (darker berries) and slightly floral. A little acidic and sparkling. It had a light body and I don't think the mouthfeel was oaky but it tasted slightly oaky. It was definitely apple-y but not too apple-y somehow.

I understand the basic cider process, but I don't know how to work backwards from this to put together a recipe. I'm thinking about D47 as the yeast, but other than that, I don't know where to go from here.

I like it. Dream big or go home. Are you committed to the color being light? Might be tough to nail dark berry flavor and keep it light in color unless using a fruit extract. If you’re using wine yeast, you could co-ferment the apples with the fruit of choice and then also add more of the fruit after primary. Would give complexity to have both fermented and fresh versions of the same fruit. However, D47 does not convert malic acid, so you might be better off using 71B. You could also choose a yeast that will contribute the floral component you’re looking for. And then, of course, age it on some oak. You can do spiral or chips, though I’ve liked spirals personally. Just my thoughts so far.

What @Amadeo38 said. (Puree works pretty well as you can add it a little at a time to taste.

If you prefer or have fruit - I have had good success with Blackberries in secondary. For each Gallon of cider use about 1/2 to 3/4 pound freeze them (No need to thaw) place them in secondary after Primary for 3 - 12 days depending upon the color and flavor you are looking for. (Taste it each day until it hits the profile your looking for.)

This is a very small amount of fruit but if you want the color and a light flavor to compliment your cider vs. making the fruit the star or overpowering it I have found this to work pretty well.

I'm just about to pitch WLP775 into 6.5 gallons of orchard juice. I love that yeast, it retains a terrific apple profile if fermented on the cool side and will dry it out to 1.000 while still leaving a nice body and mouthfeel. Just my $0.02

Decided that I'm not that beholden to my vision. I've picked ~20 pounds of Seckel pears, and I am ready to press and pitch with D47, and then add 1lb or so of raspberries before bottling, and oak or add raspberry extract as needed. I'm alright with it turning out a little sweet. Thanks all.

Pears are PITA to press. The best method I've tried is to freeze them (don't chop up) then thaw or partially thaw and then press using a basket press. Adding raspberries at bottling will make the yeast kick off again. Fermented raspberries have a somewhat sour, acidic flavor note that may or may not go with the pears, it would be interesting to try. I've tried making perry using regular dessert fruit many times and have never really been satisfied with the results. I usually end up blending it with some cider.

Back