Cider isn't clearing, too late for pectin enzyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunward33

Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all.
I started with pasteurized organic unfiltered juice. OG was 1.050 and after two weeks in primary it was at 1.010. I racked to secondary and after a week there it is just as cloudy as the day I started and the SG hasn't changed. With my last batch, it was already clearing up nicely by this stage and at 1.000.
What I'm wondering is if pectin enzyme can be added this late in the game and if fermentation is stuck.
I should mention that with this batch I pitched M2.

The title pretty much says it all.
I started with pasteurized organic unfiltered juice. OG was 1.050 and after two weeks in primary it was at 1.010. I racked to secondary and after a week there it is just as cloudy as the day I started and the SG hasn't changed. With my last batch, it was already clearing up nicely by this stage and at 1.000.
What I'm wondering is if pectin enzyme can be added this late in the game and if fermentation is stuck.
I should mention that with this batch I pitched M2.

You can add it now but its not as effective. As for the stall your fermentation can take longer then 2 weeks. Is it still bubbling? If not then you need to do something if you want it to drop more. Like add more yeast/nutrients.

My unfiltered cider we just finished up never did clear (most sat in our fridge for 3-4 months). But it wasn't yeast in suspension, it was from the apples. Tasted really good and I had no desire for it to clear. My Apfelwein batches made from regular juice got sparkling clear, but never tasted as good. Is there a reason you need it clear?

My unfiltered cider we just finished up never did clear (most sat in our fridge for 3-4 months). But it wasn't yeast in suspension, it was from the apples. Tasted really good and I had no desire for it to clear. My Apfelwein batches made from regular juice got sparkling clear, but never tasted as good. Is there a reason you need it clear?

No I suppose not. As long as it tastes good I'll be happy. I added more nutrient yesterday and there is some slow bubbling. I'll be patient.

No I suppose not. As long as it tastes good I'll be happy. I added more nutrient yesterday and there is some slow bubbling. I'll be patient.

The yeast nutrient caused bubbling due to nucleation points, most likely.

You can definitely add pectic enzyme. Mix it up with some of the cider first (to avoid more nucleation points and a volcano- trust me on that!!!!) and then add it in.

I LIKE my ciders clear, and it's easy to do. I don't drink murky wines or ciders or beer.

Here's a picture of one of my ciders, still in the fermenter, from apples I pressed from trees from my yard and neighborhood (on bottling day):
applewine2_2014.JPG

So, did you ever add the enzyme? Any results?

For anyone else, whats the opinion on gelatin? what is better to clear?

Back