Cider from scratch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchMySmile

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find a post or a website that can give me a clear answer on whether or not my idea would work, so I was hoping I could run it by you guys and see what you all think.

I've never done a cider before but what I intend to do it to grind up apples in a food processor then strain and squeeze it by hand through a cloth, enough to make three gallons. Then I will take this product and put in in a three gallon carboy and add wine yeast, and some energizer, throw on a blow off tube and let it ferment away.

I know this is a low rent way of doing things but so far all I have brewed is a bunch of Mead and an ale. The question is will this process work? I really don't want to use a store bought juice or a pre-made cider. Thanks guys.

it will work, i have done it exactly as you describe, using the coarse cheese grater on a food processor. it's a real PIA; if you leave it to drain in cheese cloth you will get some juice but you really need to apply a lot of pressure to make it worth your while, like take 3 layers of cheese cloth, put some of the ground up muck in there, and twist the dickens out of it like wringing out a wet towel. it's much easier to rent or borrow a press (or juicer).

I've never done a cider before but what I intend to do it to grind up apples in a food processor then strain and squeeze it by hand through a cloth, enough to make three gallons. Then I will take this product and put in in a three gallon carboy and add wine yeast, and some energizer, throw on a blow off tube and let it ferment away.

I know this is a low rent way of doing things but so far all I have brewed is a bunch of Mead and an ale. The question is will this process work? I really don't want to use a store bought juice or a pre-made cider. Thanks guys.
You can do it this way but it will be terribly inefficient. Store bought eating apples don't make the best cider either. If cost is a factor you will spend more on the apples than you would have for the juice you would need.

Cost isn't really a concern, I just want to do things as traditionally as possible while still maximizing my chances of a successful fermentation, all without buying new equipment. After hearing what you guys said though, I'll just get a press. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back