Cider Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsieck1

Reaction score
So I started my first 5 gallon batch of cider today. I have it sitting for 24 hours with the campden tabs in it. I put it in a 5 gallon carboy. Is it ok to and yeast and ferment in that size or will I end up with blow off like a beer? Should I transfer to a bigger carboy before I add the yeast tomo?

thanks in advance

Cider has a lot less protein than wort, and therefore it had a lot less ability to foam. The yeastp you are using also matters because some are more foamy than others.

My advice is to use a blow-off tube on the current carboy.

You need to aerate a LOT before pitching.

Cider has a lot less protein than wort, and therefore it had a lot less ability to foam. The yeastp you are using also matters because some are more foamy than others.

My advice is to use a blow-off tube on the current carboy.

You need to aerate a LOT before pitching.

using Safle US4. Will do a blow off then thanks! Also will shake and stir really well. Since it’s a dry yeast and cider, I plan on just pitching it and not rehydrating. Any thoughts on which is better?

I've had no problems pitching S-04 directly into juice. S-04 is one of my favorite cider yeasts, in fact. Good luck and have fun!

Back