Cider fermentation problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dejavu34

Reaction score
Dear All,

I've racked of the apple juice into a carboy and put the airlock. Two days after the the bubbles start to come out through airlock. But today ı saw that the bubbles started to come out linked to juice particles through airlock and the airlock is flooded of apple juice.
I clean it and ı saw the same thing 5 hours later.

Could you please tell me how to handle this issue?
Regards

I'm an absolute newbie at this. But how much room do you have between the top of the brew (Krausen I think it is called) and the bottom of the airlock?
Is there so little room that when the cider bubbles it doesn't have enough room and it is bubbling straight up through the bottom of the airlock?

I would get some tubing and connect it to the bung and fill a jug with sanitizer then stick the tube in the sanitizer. It's called a blow off tube. You should be able to go back to a reg airlock when it settles down. Or just leave the blow off in if it doesn't bother you.

They make 6.5 gallon carboys and buckets for 5 gallon batches to give you headspace so the juice and yeast don't get into your airlock. I usually use 5.5 gallons and then when fermentation is done I rack to a 5 gallon carboy and fill it all the way up to the neck, leaving behind the dead yeast and fruit solids in the bottom of the fermenter.

Back