Cider Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteleb

Reaction score
Hi there,
Like many of these posts I'm new to the cider game. I Juiced 20l of organic apples from my Grandmas orchid, they were a real mix of sweet and cooking. Added a few crushed campden tablets and left for nearly 48hrs. Then made a yeast starter with champagne yeast and checked the O.G which was at 1.055.....which was about right for my as I wanted a cider about 6%. I poured in the yeast starter and mixed well in a bucket fermenter, steeled and added an airlock. The juice was left in the dark at about 20 degrees Celsius. The strange thing is I haven't heard any bubbling at all....but I checked the s.g and its at 1.011. So is it fermenting? There's no foam or any of the velocity I had expected.... Thinking of bottling and priming soon but not sure if any things happened?
Please help!!

If you had a nice big starter your fermentation could have happened already overnight. I have made two batches of cider this year so far and the one I did with champagne yeast hardly bubbled at all, where the one I did with Belgian ale yeast was volcanic (I had blowoff for days!)

Back