Cider Airlock Stopped Bubbling After 3 Days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sreichenberger

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am relatively new to homebrewing and prepared two batches of 2.5 gallons each of Cider.

For the Cider I am particularly concerned with, I used the following:
  • 1.5 gallons of pure apple juice straight to the fermenter
  • 1.0 gallon of pure apple juice was heated to 70Cº. 15 minutes before turning the stove off I added a handful of crystalized lemon peel, 1 pound of sugar and a handful of crystalized ginger (was aiming for a higher alcohol content), one small capsule of Servomyces yeast nutrient and half a tablet of clearing whirlfloc
  • Once the temperature was down to around 25Cº I pitched the Cotes des Blancs yeast in*
* I ended up using around 1/3 of the sachet of the Cotes des Blancs which was all I was left over, and I was concerned that the yeast amount was too little for 2.5 gallons of cider.

After three days, the airlock stopped bubbling on that one, whilst the other bucket I have going (the first one I made with about 2/3 of the yeast in the sachet) is still going strong.

Did I just screw up the first Cider by adding too little yeast in? Did maybe the crystalized lemon peel kill of the yeast for whatever reason? Any tips on how I could resuscitate this batch or should I just taste, take a reading, wait two days, take another reading and then if warranted bottle and drink?

Update: I took the bucket and shock it a bit. Seems like that woke some of the yeast up, as the fermenter started to bubble yet very slowly.

However, is there too little yeast in there?

Should I pitch more yeast or add more nutrients?

It could be any number of things. Just because you don’t see yeast moving around does not mean they aren’t working. You could not have a good deal on your FV and that is allowing the co2 to escape that way. I make, what I consider to be a lot of cider, about 15 gallons a month. The only true way to know it is done fermenting is gravity readings.

Back