cider aging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbop89

Reaction score
If I started a cider on Oct 31 fermented two weeks carbed two weeks and cold conditioned four weeks would it yield a mostly clear good tasting cider? I know its kind of vague but just generally speaking would a decent cider be made in this time frame? Thanks

It will be very drinkable, but it could use some more age to be better. I find my average gravity (5-6%) ciders peak at about 3-4 months.

Absolutely. Check out Drew Beechum's book and this site http://cider.org.uk/frameset.htm.

I have a batch in a secondary now at around 3-weeks and a batch 1-week in primary. Hoping to make two more batches this season. If I can. Planning two traditional dry ciders. One cranberry specialty and a batch of New England to age until next year.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Pasturizing isn't too bad.
But yes you can get a drinkable cider in that time frame. Hell, more than drinkable, downright tasty. :)
I make one with 5 gallons of tree too apple cider
2lbs of brown sugar
Yeast nutrient and white labs california ale yeast.

It's not clear because of the juice I use. But it's damn good.
Primary for 2 weeks.
Rack to Secondary for 2 weeks
Cold crash for a 3 days
Backsweeten if you want
Bottle carb or keg
Then cold condition until ready to drink.

Good luck! :)

If you start with good pasteurized filtered store juice and a not-slow yeast (I've used saison - 3711 and belle saison dry) you can get drinkable in under 1 month of high room temperature, then chill, rack, and force carb.

It depends on some variables that are not provided.
What juice are you using? What yeast and fermentation temperature?
Are you adding sugar?
It also depends on what your tastes are and what you like/don't like.
I've used juice from the store and WL cider yeast and made decent cider in 2 months.
I've added sugar and used wine & champagne yeast in the past and it takes a long time for the flavors to mellow out.
Right now I've got batches with dry ale yeast and WL002, but its too early to tell.
You can back sweeten and add frozen concentrate at the end if you like that style.
InBev, Miller-Coors and other big brewers do short turn around ciders that sell like crazy, so it can definitely be done.

InBev, Miller-Coors and other big brewers do short turn around ciders that sell like crazy, so it can definitely be done.

Those ciders are made entirely from fermented concentrate then back sweetened beyond recognition and finished off with "natural flavors". A process that can be duplicated at home but why would you?

One of the most important things when trying to make "short" cider is to ensure a fast and clean fermentation. Use both Fermax AND Yeast Nutrient (Di-Ammonium Phospate). Making sure your nitrogen levels are high enough will avoid farty cider with sulfur defects. Sulfur defects will age out over time but if you want short cider avoid it from the beginning.

It depends on some variables that are not provided.
What juice are you using? What yeast and fermentation temperature?
Are you adding sugar?
It also depends on what your tastes are and what you like/don't like.
I've used juice from the store and WL cider yeast and made decent cider in 2 months.
I've added sugar and used wine & champagne yeast in the past and it takes a long time for the flavors to mellow out.
Right now I've got batches with dry ale yeast and WL002, but its too early to tell.
You can back sweeten and add frozen concentrate at the end if you like that style.

You think WLP775 needs less aging than the other yeasts? I have a batch that's been in primary 3 weeks. Plan to backsweeten with cider I pasteurized and cleared with pectin enzyme in the next few days and keg it. (Also adding tannin and sorbate/campden to stabilize at kegging.

Then I think it can sit in the keg for a couple of weeks and be ready.

I'm not knocking what everyone else does but there are a lot of threads about quick cider, how fast can I finish, etc.

In the short time I've been doing cider I've found the longer I wait the better it is. So why make a quick OK cider when you can wait and have great cider? If you really need cider next weekend or next month just get a case of commercial cider until yours is ready.

You think WLP775 needs less aging than the other yeasts? I have a batch that's been in primary 3 weeks. Plan to backsweeten with cider I pasteurized and cleared with pectin enzyme in the next few days and keg it. (Also adding tannin and sorbate/campden to stabilize at kegging.

Then I think it can sit in the keg for a couple of weeks and be ready.

WLP775 has a pretty fast turnaround. I often recommend it to people for short ciders. (I work at a homebrew store and own a commercial hard cider company)

Back