Chunky Beer, Why???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly this beer just looks like it's sat too long and got oxidized. I've bought several beers that unfortunately say on shelves too long that werent NEIPA's and they developed these chunky floaters
That might have more to do with the fact that even though they weren't NEIPA's they were still fermented with yeast and were unfiltered than with alleged oxydation...

That looks like something that sat in a cooler for quite a while and cold crashed in the can, forming a tight layer of yeast and hop particles on the bottom, and then broke up into chunks when it was poured. "Best by..." means nothing unless it's Enjoy By or you know what the brewery considers calls maximum shelf life. I bet it was sitting in a cooler shelf almost 6 months if not almost a year.

Hang in there, "chunky" IPA's are bound to be the next big thing. I can here them now,,ah,, but it is sooo chunky,, as they wait in line. ;}

There is a brewery here in Texas called Lone Pint that I feel has achieved something like this. They use one malt and one hop but it has low to no bitterness and a ton of malt and hop flavor. Mouth feel is dead on too. They just call it a smash beer but it tastes like what I think a NEIPA should and blows the doors off all the ones I've had. I'd love to have someone like a bjcp judge compare to a neipa

Compare it side by side with something from Treehouse and get back to us.

Back