Chugger pump troubleshooting advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumpher

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all:

Recently my chugger pump (which is out of warranty, but has only been used maybe 10 hours) stopped spinning. I've taken off the impeller and head mount to see if it's the impeller causing it; it's not. I also took off the back plate to see if it was binding. Nothing helped. The magnet does spin freely with no resistance, when turned by hand. When I plug it in, I can see the cooling fan surge, but it doesn't start spinning. I also hear the motor trying to turn. Any clues on what I can try to get it spinning again?

chugger_pump.jpg

If you've removed everything from the shaft end of the motor and it doesn't spin under power, the motor is likely borked.
You should be able to spin the motor by hand with the motor "bracket" removed (#9)

I had a more minor problem with my center inlet chugger that I fixed by finally putting oil in the oil spot. Have you tried that?

Back