Chugger pump sooo hot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
Just got my first chugger pump. Got it set up with camlocks. Ran it for about 10 min and noticed it was wicked hot! Never had pump before. Is this normal? there is an oil port on the back. How often should you oil it? Also is it safe to run these throttled down for a recirculating mash?

Yes they get a bit hot, yes you can throttle on the OUTPUT of the pump with a ball valve, but I don't know the answer to your question about the oil unfortunately...

Gotcha on the oil thanks. Just wanna make sure it's ok to throttle down the output for a 60 min to recirculate my mash?

Mine run for hours on brew day with my eHerms and fly sparge processes. They get hot as he!!. Doesn't seem to be a problem. I just don't touch the motor bodies so I don't get burned. I throttle the output way down for sparging which takes 45-60 minutes.

Back