Chuckanut Pilsner Intel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbsmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for some inside information. <nervous glance from side to side>

There is a brewery called Chuckanut brewery in Bellingham, Washington. Link: Chuckanut Brewery and Kitchen | Award Winning, European Style Craft Beers

They brew one of my most favorite pilsners of all time, the Chuckanut pilsner. It is fresh, crisp, perfectly balanced, and has an assertive bite. It's beautiful. I'd like to try to brew something similar to it, but I cannot find ANYTHING about this beer online ingredient wise. The only things I know are that it is 5.0% and uses a "secret noble hop" at 36 IBU.

I have searched the net far and wide and found one random clone recipe someone made, but have no idea about if it is anything like the real deal. The recipe looks odd to me with the steeping hops. This Chuckanut beer seems more traditional to my palate. Link: Chuckanut Pils - All-grain Beer Recipe

Does anyone know anything about this beer? Link: Chuckanut Brewery and Kitchen | Pilsner Lager

Thanks for the link, I'd love to check this out! Unfortunately trying to download or play the podcast is giving me a 503 :(

Update: Listened to the first one and got some killer tips for their Kolsch, Pilsner, and Vienna lager. It was fascinating listening to Will's insight into brewing, and I highly recommend it! Also, it is pretty hilarious how stunned the hosts are by how damned good the pilsner is :D

Update: Listened to the first one and got some killer tips for their Kolsch, Pilsner, and Vienna lager. It was fascinating listening to Will's insight into brewing, and I highly recommend it! Also, it is pretty hilarious how stunned the hosts are by how damned good the pilsner is :D
Did you ever find out their grain bill, I heard Will say he used a pale malt but never elaborated?

Yeah, after listening to a couple of the shows it seems like Weyermann pilsner malt is their main base malt. For their Pils, they use that malt along with 3-4% carafoam and 1-2% acid malt

For their Kolsch, it is about the same but in addition to the pilsner malt they use close to 10% wheat malt

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back