Chronical Fermenter by SS Brewing Technologies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else received anything from them about the next round? I'm still waiting and really need to buy two new fermenters.

Well Lads, I received my invoice today. Hopefully, I'll brew my next batch and ferment in stainless. If I like this, and I think I will, there will be a second one added to my arsenal.

prohl84 said:
That was a polite way of saying exactly what was thinking. Though I do prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. Often when a first post is positive feedback on a product/ vendor in question that post is either from said vendor or their shill. It's unfortunate that it happens because it calls into legitimacy first posts from actual people like you. That bucket sure do look purrty! :mug: Why did you take so long to say hello?

Hi All,

Long time lurker here; only been brewing for a year. Also new to HBT. Just wanna get my posts up. Don't wanna be called illegitimate at some point in the future ;)
(JK y'all, I am new, and I just got selected today on the Chronical lottery! Woot! Woot!)

Mine was supposed to be delivered today, but got delayed by a day. So I'll have it tomorrow. I'll probably buy 1 or 2 more if I like it

Please post pics of the conical when you finally get it! Perhaps how they ship it too. I'm really wanting to get one myself. I'm jealous.

Mine arrived this morning and I'm really pleased with this thing. I'm definitely buying a second one.
The first set of photos is the packaging. It had a second layer of cardboard inside for protection. The valve and a new gasket were enclosed below the fermenter in a separate compartment of the box. There was a note indicating that they had enclosed a new improved gasket that was to be used in place of the one inside the lid.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

The next photos are of the product. One thing I noticed was the nice spring loaded latches. It also has rubber feet. The inside is so much better than I imagined for the price.

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

Two more. The second one is the lid with the old version of the gasket which is to be removed:

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

...and the money shot inside my fermentation cabinet. I should be able to fit quite a few of these inside. The second photo is my current selection of fermenters. I have 4 of the blue top fermenters, two of the red top fermenters, one Speidel and two NB brewing buckets.

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0608.jpg

So hw do you like the conical? The bucket fermenter is a winner for me.

I got the bucket a few weeks ago and I love it to.....it will be a week or so before I can test but first impressions it's well made....just like the bucket . First time learning how to use triclamps so something new to learn

Also I'm trying to figure out is what to do with the thermwell. Any suggestions ???

I got the bucket a few weeks ago and I love it to.....it will be a week or so before I can test but first impressions it's well made....just like the bucket . First time learning how to use triclamps so something new to learn

Also I'm trying to figure out is what to do with the thermwell. Any suggestions ???

Based on my setup, I'd insert the probe from the STC-1000 that controls my fermentation cabinet. I have a 6" thermowell now that is inserted through the cap of a 1L bottle of water.

Do you use anything to control fermentation temperature?

Anybody heard anything from these guys recently on availability of the conical? I see they did a pre-sale on the bucket over the weekend, but no indication that they're going to do the same with the conical.

Nothing on the conical. I did buy a second bucket and took advantage of the free shipping code.

I got an email for the conical but did not order, going to hold out for the bigger one.

I got an email yesterday saying the Chronical fermenter is now due roughly mid-late March.
They are shipping more buckets out this weekend.

Just got mine delivered! (Ordered on 12-29 mad dash) It came with a new lid gasket. Putting together the valve as we speak. I might have to pick up a new 0-Ring because one looks like it was crammed in when it was packed and now has some irregular pinched marks now. Same with one if the rubber feet pads looks ripped and was crammed in (pulled it out to reset base) so it was a little wobbly. Other than that it looks pretty good. Might brew tomorrow now!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389125766.078580.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389125846.083025.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389125937.590851.jpg

What is everyone who received one of these using for temperature control? I used to use a sort of swap cooler to control my carboys but I don't think thats going to work on one of these

Hey Schumed, I lucked out in the 7 gal 'Chronical' lottery today. Since you seem to be the only one on the thread with the conical... Any other early observations (pros, cons)? Any regrets? Also, at your convenience - Would you mind measuring the total height (from bottom of leg to top of dome opening)? Prost! Jeff (aka hi octane)

Hey Schumed, I lucked out in the 7 gal 'Chronical' lottery today. Since you seem to be the only one on the thread with the conical... Any other early observations (pros, cons)? Any regrets? Also, at your convenience - Would you mind measuring the total height (from bottom of leg to top of dome opening)? Prost! Jeff (aka hi octane)

I'm working on a full review and should have it posted tomorrow ...it's a pretty solid product ...

So, any of you guys who got the bucket, brew with it yet? Thoughts? Recommendations? I'm still on the waiting list.

Also, I'm thinking when I get mine, I'll drlll a hole and install a ball valve on the bottom to dump the trub. Anyone see a big problem with this?

You'll have to make the legs longer, as there isn't enough room for the valve on the bottom.

Finally getting around to use my conical ...love it so far

Beautiful! Good looking fermentor and a luxuriously roomy brew area. :mug: Thanks for the nice pictures. When they're not posing for pictures, you normally have a lid or cover on the conical when filling it, yes?

I have posted an unboxing review on my webpage, granted I have not been able to fill it yet. All my kegs are full and I have 1 beer in my brew bucket which I brewed the day before my Conical arrived....stupid I know but I was on the very last day I could brew and have the beer ready for a local brewfest I am bringing the beer to. But I do have several shots of measurements you may be interested in. http://barleypopmaker.info/2014/01/...lgies-the-chronical-conical-a-dream-come-true

So, any of you guys who got the bucket, brew with it yet? Thoughts? Recommendations? I'm still on the waiting list.

I really liked my brew bucket and I have a beer sitting in it right now. I know the big complaint is that you can't drop yeast/trub from the conical bottom, but that's not really what it was for. It's a solid unit in my opinion. I don't regret buying it at all.

Yeah, and I don't know why people keep complaining about that and about the 40 degree vs. the 60 degree slope. My plastic bucket doesn't have a slope and I can't dump the trub out of it. Still on the waiting list though. Kinda sucks.

Great write-up on the Chronical Jason! Mine is on its way… Can’t wait to brew with it. If you beat me to a first time brew, I’d love to see/read a new post from you on it’s maiden voyage :)

Prost!
Jeff

So as I'm getting back into brewing after a 15+yr hiatus, I am looking at using a conical fermenter.

I see that there was alot of excitement when the SS conical was "discovered". My question is why not the 7.3 gal Stout conical which is actually cheaper and is available now? I would say that I don't really care for the lid hold down approach, but if you move to the "squat" version you get the better (imho) lid mechanism for the same price as the SS.

I assume I am missing something and am looking to be enlightened.

thanks,
Mark

For me, I'm not a fan of the design. The additional arms on the outside take up unnecessary room. The way the lid attaches I'm not a huge fan of. While I'm sure the airlock will stick up just as high as the height of the screw that clamps the lid down, I think it would be too easy to over-tighten onto the lid and damage/dent/bend the lid more so than the screw mechanism getting in the way. Another difference, while minor, is that it would have the same issue the Brew Bucket will have where the stopper goes in, and that the sharp edge may damage stoppers/bungs as others have reported. But I'm not so concerned with that, stoppers are cheap and easily replaceable. SS Brew Tech's Conical does not have the same hole type. It may hold pressure, but it does not list if the conical can hold pressure for forced keg transfers. I also do not see an internal racking arm or thermowell. Some people may also prefer the 90 bend of the dump valve on the SS Brew Tech's conical vs. the straight down one of the Stout Conical. Those are just the differences I notice. But, with that said, $329 for a conical is a great deal as well. To me, it's just lacking a few very minor things. Both will do the job.

I think the lid is the best part of the product...the latches keep the lid snug

It does have a welded thermwell and comes with an internal racking arm

The handles on the side make it super nice to carry around especially for someone like me who brews in the garage but ferment in the basement

Thanks for the feedback.
So, it looks like the short version of the Stout fermenter has the same features minus the handles, racking arm (a thermowell version is avail).

What I'm trying to do is balance whether it is worth waiting an undetermined amount of time for the SS versus the Stout now...and whether the handles and arm are important to me.

Thanks again.

cheers,
Mark

I wonder if you can get the Brew Bucket with the thermowell? If so, it would be perfect for my mini fridge fermentation chamber.

Latest posts

Back