Chrome vs Stainless Steel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandara33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For faucets and shanks, does it make sense to pay up to 6x more for Stainless Steel faucets and shanks? What is the downside to Chrome?

And now that you've gone with stainless, spend a even a little more for forward-sealing faucets.
I started with chrome rear-sealers. They chipped and got sticky easily.
I now have stainless Intertaps. So much better than the cheapies.
Don't be like me. Buy once.

" only to get metallic tasting beer because you wanted to save a few bucks on draft equipment. "

i'm still using plastic picnic taps after 15 years, lol

but i have been thinking about investing in fancy stuff, thanks for the read!

bracconiere said:
i'm still using plastic picnic taps after 15 years, lol

yeah, but isn’t it easier to do keg stands with picnic taps?

I’m a big fan of spending other people’s money, but in all seriousness the SS taps are the way to go.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what my current ones are. But chrome has been around for ever so I can't say anything bad about it. But going forward I would probably spend a little more for SS ones. A little more...not 3X...

But for sure forward sealing types stay cleaner better. either chrome or SS. I'd take a forward sealing chrome faucet over an old style rear sealing in SS any day.

SS is worth the money. If you can find used SS Perlicks for a good price, all the gaskets can be replaced.

I've picked up several free kegerators and all the shanks & taps were chrome (except the one that came with 6 SS Perlicks 😁) Thechrome wears off and your beer is touching brass. While you're at it, consider EVA barrier lines. I just made the switch from standard Bevflex lines and it really saves space in the kegerator, in addition to hopefully reducing oxygen pickup.

Back