Christmas Spiced Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryue

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Attempting a new recipie, started last night. It tasted delicious before pitchi g yeast, lets hope it turns out well. If it does I will make a larger batch and age it for this next christmas.
What do ya'll think?

1 gallon Motts freshpressed apple juice (unfiltered)
3 1/4 cups Red Clover honey
1 cup packed Brown Sugar
6 Cinnamon sticks
4 cloves
1 - 1.5 teaspoon(s) Allspice
.25 teaspoon Nutmeg

Red Star Premier Blanc yeast and Fermaid-K

Yeast pitched 2-5-18
SG - 1.116
20180205_155945.jpg
20180205_174300.jpg

You might want to knock that back to 1 Cinnamon stick and 1 clove. As is, it will be impossible to drink for many years to come!

Since you made it last night, there is still time to save it by removing the excess spice.

No offense, but I beg to differ. My elderberry mead also uses 4 cloves and 6 cinnamon sticks to a gallon and is delicious right out of the carboy. I have a 5 gallon of that recipie still fermenting and almost all the pints I will bottle from it are.. uhh.. "gifted".. already.

Glad you enjoy it with that kind of flavor profile.

It appears you have added the spices to primary. I suspect much if the flavor may be blown out the airlock during active fermentation and could account for the need to add what i would consider too much.

I find that 4-5 Cinnamon Sticks and 2-3 cloves along with 2-3 vanilla beans in a 5 gallon batch of Cyser in secondary is more than enough for me.

Will be interested to hear how it turns out for you.

Cinnamon can be dosed much more aggressively than cloves, unless you *reaaly* like cloves, and that's what you're going for. I doubt that 4 solitary whole cloves in primary will be too much...

Agree with @CKuhns...I also usually add after primary as well....

Latest posts

Back