Christmas Lights

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finchlake

Reaction score
Swmbo had me putting up the christmas lights today.

Does anyone have an easy method to find the bulb that is out. I have two sections that are not burning. I guess it one bulb in each that causes them not to burn. I'll start in the morning pulling each bulb untill they all burn.

The easiest way would be to use an inductive voltage tester such as a Fluke VoltAlert. You can usually get one at most home improvement stores.

best way I can think of is pitch them and run to CVS (Walgreens, or Target) and pick up another string for 10 bucks..... Just did that myslef.

Oakwood said:
best way I can think of is pitch them and run to CVS (Walgreens, or Target) and pick up another string for 10 bucks..... Just did that myslef.

That is probably quicker.
I usually take a bulb I know is working, and start working my way down the line of dark lights-swapping known with unknown. Eventually the string will light back up.

=Total PITA

The bulb testers they sell for $10 (usually with the lights) work pretty well.

Got one a few years ago at an after christmas sale for like $5 or something.

Some of the features work better than others, but the continuity scanner thing works great - I've used it several times. Takes the time and pain out of switcihng out a good bulb in every friggin bulb in the line.

i just tell swmbo to put the lights up herself if she wants them on the house that badly. haven't put lights on the house in six years :)

kinison_fan said:
That is probably quicker.
I usually take a bulb I know is working, and start working my way down the line of dark lights-swapping known with unknown. Eventually the string will light back up.

=Total PITA

that only works if there is one and only one bulb thats burned out. if you have 2 or more bulbs that need replacing then you're fuct

Make up a list of brewing supplies needed from the local home depot. Take your lights with you and hand them to the "seasonal workers" hanging around outside to fix while you're inside shopping.

Pay them a couple bucks on the way out and you've got new brewing gear and working lights.

Latest posts

Back