Christmas Beer -- too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I will be brewing Jamils Ok Yule Loggy, with an OG of 1.090 containing Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg and Allspice.

I can brew it in the next week or so But would that be too soon for Christmas? I dont want the spices to fade.

Thanks All.

Aamcle

Actually, it is not too early at all. The spices won't fade, but will become part of the beer - they will meld. It also gives you time to brew it, bulk age, bottle, taste, and maybe try again if it isn't quite hitting the mark.

I need to brew my bourbon barrel porter soon for winter.....and it is really hard to want to do that - I like to brew and and start to drink it in a few weeks.....be an ant, not a grasshopper with a beer like this.

ZaniPalmerJamiChef seem to come up with interesting recipes.
Adding a small piece of brewers licorice in the boiler adds a nice touch, it takes the edge off, off flavors. I'd start making the beer ASAP. Next time brew the beer between November and December while Holiday spirit is full on and allow it to condition a full year. Besides, you'll have the beer your making now, to drink, then. Win, win! Maybe, instead, brew Bock now because the conditioning period fits better.

After primary fermentation ends it's best to keep air out of the picture. If possible, use CO2 for transfers and purge everything. Oxidation can ruin a good beer. During a long conditioning period it becomes noticeable.
Yeast have a tendency to skip the reproduction cycle when gravity is above 1065.
I'm not sure of the base malt or the rest temperature that's used for Ole Loggy, but, the higher the rest temperature, the sweeter and less fermentable the wort is. However, I did see a recipe that recommended Marris Otter and a rest temperature at 155F which causes Alpha to release less highly fermenting, glucose and more sweet, tasting, nonfermenting types of sugar. Maybe, the beer's supposed to be on the sweeter side.

Latest posts

Back