Chouffe yeast tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a tripel in the next few weeks using yeast harvested from Chouffe bottles.

I can already see that this yeast is a monster,climbing out of a 1000ml flask on my stirplate with a started of 600ml.

Can anybody with experience give me pointers on how to plan my fermentation with regards to temperature?

I was going to just take the peramiters given by wlp or wyeast,but they both give bloody different temperatures for their "version(?)" of this yeast.
Cheers in advance

maybe it's good to keep wort below 20 Celsius for the first days, then you can raise fermentation temperatures

I was leaning towards 20-21c for the first 36-48 hours, then let it rise to about 24c

Apparently WY3522 and WLP550 are from Achouffe, so you might want to follow the guidelines for those yeasts.

I havent used actual dregs from AChouffe, btu I have used both the wyeast and white labs offerings. Just pitch at a reasonable temp and let it free rise (at reasonable room temps, not like a hot garage or something)

Some people seem to pitch fairly hot but when I've done that I've had fusels. I start low (17-20) and try to prevent it from getting too high in the first 3 days but then let it get hot after that.

That is what I was thinking of doing,-ish.
How low have you started this yeast at?
I do not think that I would feel comfortable going lower than 19c at pitch.

thats about where i try to start. though during the summer, i pitch everything at like 62F/17C since thats where my chest freezer ferm chamber is usually set. my warm summer tap water cant get it cold enough the day of brewing, so i let it sit there overnight

I am going to be brewing a tripel in the next few weeks using yeast harvested from Chouffe bottles.

Did you recently harvest that yeast? I've read somewhere else, they started using a different lager yeast strain for conditioning. I tried to harvest the la chouffe yeast myself, using 2 bottles a couple of days ago, but failed... date of expiration on the bottles was Nov/Dec 2017.

I did indeed harvest the yeast.
I used two bottles,small, and saw activity in the very first step.
As for it being lager yeast(in the 330s) at least), unless it is lager yeast that tastes and smells like Chouffe,I am incined to not believe it.

I went through a few prop up steps and then deliberatly underpitched into a dubbel,which is conditioning now,but tasted bloody great after a 4 week primary.

Back