Revived "old yeast" WY3711

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Jeff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a jar of yeast that had been saved from 7-4-2019, most likely from an overbuilt starter.

It was in my stuff that got moved at the end of July 2019, in a little fridge in the bottom of a water cooler.
I was in Alaska working during the move and came home to find the water cooler in the garage of the new house not plugged in when I came home in September of 2019.
I don't recall how long it was until I remember the yeast and plugged it in.
All the while sitting in a hot garage in the Alabama summer heat.

Fast forward to Saturday 2-19-2022, I pulled out the jar, shook it up and added the contents to a flask along with a can of fast pitch and a can of water, Tuesday 2-22-2022 I noticed that it was getting a bit lighter in color and yesterday I could see the creamy off white color of it fully going, this morning I added another can of starter and no water, just letting the spent beer dilute the flask (2L).
All this on a stirplate.
Yeast is a good bit more durable than most give it credit for.

IMG_0446.jpeg

Yeast is a good bit more durable than most give it credit for.

Hmmm. Good chance it's exactly what you think it is. Some chance it's something else.

Beer is not "life or death" - losing a batch is not a big deal. Still, it breaks my wee beery heart when I lose a batch to infection or similar. I don't screw around with the yeast. I often reuse yeast (same way as you, mason jars), but I have a 3 month policy.

Good luck with that, I'll be watching.

I just resurrected some Rustic 5-18-19. I’m getting back to brewing and reviving old yeast for the last 2 weeks. I have yet to have any not start. They were refrigerated the entire time, but who knows how long they can go. I’d brew with that no doubt. No reservation at all, especially when brewing with farmhouse style yeast. 7 days round trip with yeast this old.

Last edited:
Back