Choose my hops! (please)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemnitz

Reaction score
I'm still a newbie brewer. My third batch (a Dunkelweizen) is boiling right now, and the scent is terrific. At any rate, I'm trying to choose what hops to buy in bulk, since there's a great sale on right now. Here's a few factors:

1. I think that 2-3 lbs. of hops would fit into my budget, storage, and brewing plans at this point.

2. My favorite beers are German and Irish, so that may say something about the kind of hops that I like.

3. In the near future, I plan to brew another Weizen and a Stout for sure. I may also do an IPA, a Bock, a Pilsner, or a Barleywine.

So, what 2 or 3 varieties of hops would do me the most good? Thanks.

Based on the beers you have listed, I'd go with
Spalter
Perle or Magnum
Amarillo (If you can afford three pounds and are serious about doing an IPA)

3 varieties?

Anything British, Irish, Scottish, or American without a big citrus note

Willamette

German lagers, american lagers, belgian beers

Hallertau or a substitute

American Citrus hop profile

Amarillo

In a pinch, you can use willamette for bittering in american lagers as well.

Hersbrucker-mittlefruh-or willamete

In that order for that particular beer or similar ones.

and a bonus hop suggestion>>>>>>>>Tettnang.

If it were me, I'd want to go for 4:
1) for German beers: Hallertau (Tettanager as a second choice)
2) for Irish/English: East Kent Goldings (Fuggles or Willamette as second choices)
3) for US ales/IPAs: Cascade (Amarillo or Centennial as second choices)
4) a good high AA bittering hop: Magnum (Horizon, Perle, or Galena as second choices)

That'll cover all your needs for a while.

Thanks for the advice. Based on your recommendations, I just placed my order for 3 lbs.

Tettnanger
Willamette
Amarillo

fantastic! just purchased some Amarillo, Fuggle, Willamette, and Magnum. Maybe a little redundant with the Fuggle and Willamette, but they were too cheap to pass up.

Had a big order compiled and in a shoping cart on another site, had 10 ounces of hops totaling 32 bucks, instead i got 4 lbs for 38. What a day!

Back