Choose a yeast for tomorrows brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which yeast should I use?

• Pacman (harvested from a Rogue orginally, several batches old now)

• Canadian Belgian (Havested from a bottle of Unibroue's)

• Nottingham (my favorite dry ale yeast)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bradinator

Reaction score
Hey,

I doing a brew tomorrow and really have not decided on what exact style I want this to end up being. I have the recipe picked out, but I am at a cross roads as to whether or not I want the yeast to drive the final style or not.

Here is the recipe, which I based on BM's Sterling Gold:

Grains

• 5.0 lbs Pilsner Malt
• 1.0 lbs Rye Malt
Hops

• 0.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 60min
• 1.0 oz Tettnang @ 45min
• 1.0 oz Tettnang @ 20min
Misc

• 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient @ flame out
• 0.2 oz Corriander, Ground @ 10 minutes
• 0.3 oz Black Pepper, Ground @ 10 minutes

I will make a starter if required and delay as necessary.

HBT community I will let you decided what yeast I will use!

I really didn't want to make a three way tie, but I thought the rye should stand out. I think Unibroue's yeast will cover it too much and I personally don't care for Notty.

I can see where you are coming from. I have used the Unibroue before and it was very apparent in the final product. If I use the Unibroue would that make this beer something closer to a Saion? I know its not true Saison yeast, but I was under the impression the flavour profile was quite similar to a Belgian strain.

Saison is such a variable style, I suppose you could say this is similar. I used unibroue's yeast when wyeast released it and it didn't finish dry enough forum taste. To make it closer to a saison you might need table sugar to dry out the extract more.

I'd think the spices would be something of a redundancy with the Unibroue strain, but also mostly superfluous with a clean ale strain if being able to pick out the subtleties from a single pound of rye malt is a goal.

I am happy with either result to be honest. I just happen to have both strains on hand and have enjoyed the results from both.

On a side note, I mashed quite low so this beer, using either strain is going to finish dry.

Unibroue it is! Thanks for the input everyone. I will let you know how the final product turns out in a month or so.

Back