Choice of Kegerator Towers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GsMoney

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am in the process of building my first kegerator.

I was able to score alot of parts off of CL, and now I just need to buy the tower and faucets to mount on top.

So far I have kept my expenses to a minimum.. I am in in it for an $85 Kenmore Elite SS fridge (used), and $60 for a partially full CO2 Cannister, Dual Gage Regulator, 3 Sankeys, a party tap, and a few beer pull handles.

However, now I am stuck. Do I go with a dual tower made from Stainless Steel, or is Chrome ok? Is there a brand I should be afraid of, or gravitate to?

Right now, I am torn betweent the two below.

This one is chrome and cheaper at $66

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220566678381&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This one is stainless steel at $93

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-Tap-Stainl...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e5ac2f1f1

Suggestions between the two? Is there going to be a performance difference? Does it matter that I like really hoppy beer?

The stainless refers to only the tower column and not all the faucets and other fittings. So they should be practically the same with slightly different looks.

I got mine at kegconnection.com and it came with everything so you just buy it and hook it up. The customer service there is great too.

Great advice, thanks. Because of it, now I have a new newbie question. One of the options from I noticed on a "packaged" tower with faucets and the beer lines offered an upgrade to "home brew" connections.

Does this mean that it is harder to change between home brew and macro brew than just changing couplers?

It's just a different type of coupler. The corny kegs have two separate disconnects, one for the gas, and one for the liquid, whereas the sankey have one disconnect for both. Sankey couplers run about $30, and corny keg couplers run about $7 each ($14 for both). Most homebrewers prefer corny kegs simply because the kegs are cheaper, easier to find, and easier to open/close than sankeys. Sankeys will work fine for homebrew, you just need some practice to be able to quicky and easily assemble/disassemble them.

Back