Chocolate Wheat and Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
So I set out to purchase a list of ingredients for a dunkelweizen recipe I formulated on hopville.com. My original intention was to make a banana bread dunkelweisen, medium brown in color, nice and malty. When I went to the brew supply shop the guy at the store changed up my recipe by replacing my 3 lbs. german wheat and 8 oz chocolate malt with 3 lbs chocolate wheat. I have not used chocolate wheat before but my fear is itll be too dark in color, and have a very bitter taste. The recipe he adjusted it to is as follows:

3lbs Chocolate Wheat
2lbs Weyermann Light Munich
2lbs Weyermann Crystal
1lb Weyermann Pilsner
1lb Weyermann Cara-amber
8oz Flaked oats

Anyone have any input?? It just seems to me that there is too much chocolate wheat. Hopville beer calculus puts it at a 60 SRM Black!! I like dark beers, and the color isnt necessarily what im worried about. I just dont want my beer to taste like an ash tray

That's a boat load of black grains. I'm thinking I'd have not paid for that goof up. Since you have it, you'll probably want to dilute that somehow. My initial thought is to add more grain and do multiple batches, assuming all of that bill is currently mixed together.

Luckily the grains aren't mixed together. Im glad I asked, it seemed like way too much, but I just assumed he knew better than I did

I have used chocolate wheat in dunkelweizen many times. Once I used a pound. Tasted great but it was black as ink. No way would you use 3 lbs. I use half pound chocolate and a half pound C60 and it's still pretty dark in terms of style but it is delicious. I can post the recipe but that's. Basically it with the base malts 50% each of 2row and white wheat. Are you showing. 2 lbs crystal malt?

Yes it's 2 lbs crystal malt. I'm by no means an expert but I've been brewing for a few years and this just seemed so wrong. I have experience with chocolate malt and know how it effects color and flavor, but I've never used chocolate wheat so I thought maybe I was wrong. that's the last time I let someone change up my recipe! Good thing I haven't started brewing yet, I'll have to run out today and get German wheat

Using the light munich might be tasty...just sub 2lbs of that for the 2lbs of 2-row or pils. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back