Chocolate stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellish33

Reaction score
I had a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and a Founders Breakfast Stout the other day. GREAT beers. I was wondering if there is some type of recipe out there that is some what close to these?

Have you tried Young's Double Chocolate stout? I prefer it over Brooklyn. I haven't tried Founders.. I have an extract double chocolate stout that I bottled a week ago. I hope it tastes similar to Youngs. I also have my first AG attempt at the same beer in my primary.. I could get you the recipe of either if you're interested..

I have not tried Youngs. I'd be interested in the extract double chocolate stout. Thx.

You've got to try Young's! I honestly think it's my favorite beer. I buy it every time I go to the craft brew store..
Here's the recipe;

Double Chocolate Stout 1

5.2 gal batch

6 lbs. dark malt LME
1 lb. domestic special pale malt
1 lb. medium crystal malt
1/2 lb. roast unmalted barley
1/4 lb. chocolate malt
1/2 lb. oatmeal (won't add much without mashing, but I used anyway)
3/4 cup unsweetened hershey special dark cocoa (at flame-out)
1 oz. Northern Brewer (bittering) 60 mins
1/2 oz. U.K. Fuggles (flavoring) 30 mins
1 pkg. Windsor Ale Yeast (or White Labs English Ale or Wyeast #1968)
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
3/4 cup corn sugar (priming)
O.G. - 1.049
F.G. - 1.012

Steep grains at 155F for 30 mins.
Do full boil if possible (starting with 6 gallons of water and the extract)..
You can also do a number of things to increase the chocolate flavor, like..
- add nibs or cocoa powder to secondary (if you add cocoa powder mix it with a shot of vodka so it will mix in and be sanitary)..
- add chocolate extract at bottling.

You can also add 1/2 to 3/4 lb of lactose (last 15 min of boil) to give it that sweet, creamy mouthfeel.. This will change gravity readings stated above..

-----------------
I did the cocoa powder vodka in secondary on this batch. On my AG batch I plan on using the extract at bottling..

Good Luck!

Back