Chocolate stout = three years in bucket. What should I do with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dionustra

Reaction score
So here's a funny one. I brewed a high gravity chocolate stout (can't remember the recipe at this point), which I put in a corner, where it sat undisturbed for three years. I should add that I did take it outside today with the intention of pouring it out, where it sat in 90 degree heat for 10-15 minutes, but the stuff inside smelled so good when I removed the lid that I replaced the lid and brought it back in. What say you knowledgeable brewers about what I should do with it now: pour it out or bottle for drinking?

If you have the ability to force carb, id carb up a small sample and taste it. Why Not?
if it smells like ass it probably is ass, if it doesn't it aint

the last one of these types ended up being very disappointing...

but here's for hoping!

taste it. if it tastes pretty good, keg it. if you're bottling it, you'll want to add more yeast. if it doesn't taste good, then just dump it. maybe even taste it a couple of days apart, because i've heard of people thinking that something actually tasted alright when they were excited about something crazy happening with their beer. then when they came back to it a couple days later and the emotions were down a little more, and they were a little more objective, they decided it was bad enough to dump.

Food for thought.

I will add though...hops are going to be the first thing that fades with age. A malty beer like a stout would be more able to stand up to age than a hoppy one, but 3 years is a long time.

For starters I say bottle and carb it up.

That being said.....
3 years? Did you keep the airlock full or are you banking on the carbon dioxide formed during fermentation to have lasted as a type of protection against airborne bacteria?

I am hoping it turns out well for you and please keep us posted.

All jokes aside, the "cost" of taking it to drinkable is negligible. Try it!

More importantly, let us all know how it tastes!

Yes, by all means drink it. Best case scenario is that you have some decent beer you forgot you had.

Worst case is you're out 5 gallons (I'm assuming?) of beer that you weren't really missing anyway, but maybe you can learn something out of it.

I think it's done after 3 years haha

thatsthejoke.jpg

If I were the OP, I'd smell it, taste it, and see what I thought.

Then bottle/keg it up. What do you have to lose besides a few hours of your time?

These threads wouldn't exist if the person would just taste the stuff.

I'm fairly curious about all aspects of brewing, if - for some ungodly known reason - I let something sit for 3 years, you'd better believe the first thing I would do is take a gravity sample and taste it.

Then I would post one of the following threads:

Beer sat for 3 years, tastes great!

or

I just dumped a 3 year old beer that tasted like ass water.

Homebrewer's are great. This is the only place where someone can say "Hey, I have this stuff that's been in my corner for 3 years, what should I do with it?" Drink it of course!

I would taste it, I had two in primary for 8 months, though I kept the airlocks wet. It had some unintended flavors but, I kegged and drank most of it until I need the keg space for a new brew.

David

WAIT!

Don't taste that beer. Every drop is worth a fortune.

Sell it to the craftbeer wanker hipsters that don't care what beer tastes like, the more expensive it is, the better it must taste. You'll make a killing.

This thread is destined to end up the same as the old-ass IPA thread.

2 months later:

"Sorry guys, forgot to check back... I tasted it, it sucked. I dumped it out. Thanks for the help."

Latest posts

Back