Chocolate Stout FG is 1.025. Is this done or is it stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinesmith

Reaction score
I only saw bubbles in the air lock for about 12 hours. I am not sure if this is done. My basement is sitting at 62 F. I know that is kinda cold. I The airlock blew off the first 12 hours and it looked liked the yeast all squeezed out the top hole. It was a huge mess. I just cleaned it up sanitized the airlock and let it sit 3 weeks. I was just wondering if it might be done or should I add more yeast or something? I tasted it and it tastes kinda sweet still. I fly back to the states on leave in 2 weeks and just need help ASAP. Thanks a bunch in advance cant wait to hear your opinions

Im gonna try stirring it up a bit. Most of the yeast is stuck to the sides not even touching the liquid

You gotta leave it alone. The yeast is in the liquid not on the sides. What blew off was just from a big kraussen. 1.025 is pretty high and I'm pretty sure it hasn't finished yet. If it's been a few days you might try and raise that temp a bit. Maybe try 66 or so.

I just re-read your post. 3 weeks is a long time. I would move it to a warmer part of house and cover fermenter with a towel or blanket to keep it dark and insulated before messing with more yeast.

You could try rousing the yeast by swirling the fermenter, but not stirring. You don't want to reintroduce oxygen at this point. Also you could try warming it up a bit. But my chocolate stouts never get lower than 1.025, its still sweet because the name of that style is a "sweet stout". I'm going to assume that you're doing extract, extracts are notorious for ending high especially the dark ones used for stouts. Also if you put lactose in that will not ferment and accounts for almost ten points of your final gravity.

k_mcarthur said:
You could try rousing the yeast by swirling the fermenter, but not stirring. You don't want to reintroduce oxygen at this point. Also you could try warming it up a bit. But my chocolate stouts never get lower than 1.025, its still sweet because the name of that style is a "sweet stout". I'm going to assume that you're doing extract, extracts are notorious for ending high especially the dark ones used for stouts. Also if you put lactose in that will not ferment and accounts for almost ten points of your final gravity.
Same here!

I've had stouts finish at 1.018 and all the way down to 1.010. I usually don't have lactose in mine but if I did, they would finish considerably higher...around 1.024. Even if there isn't any lactose in your brew, I wouldn't be surprised if it was completely finished fermenting after 3 weeks at 62 degrees.

Last thing. It might be helpful to post recipe. Might be that 1.025 is all you can get. Give us more info.

That would definitely help. FG is more of a result of unfermentable sugar in the original recipie. Lots of Crystal, Chocolate, and roasted malts in relation to you base malts would definitely give you a higher FG. Since you said it blew off the airlock, it must have been over 1.070 SG right?

Haji said:
That would definitely help. FG is more of a result of unfermentable sugar in the original recipie. Lots of Crystal, Chocolate, and roasted malts in relation to you base malts would definitely give you a higher FG. Since you said it blew off the airlock, it must have been over 1.070 SG right?
it was about 1.065 to start with

I think its the lactose. Just did my first all grain chocolate milk stout og 1.072 fg 1025 or 024ish. I use Kolsh yeast with a 1l starter on stirplate. I wouldn't muck aroumd with it too much im sure it will be fine.

I think its the lactose. Just did my first all grain chocolate milk stout og 1.072 fg 1025 or 024ish. I use Kolsh yeast with a 1l starter on stirplate. I wouldn't muck aroumd with it too much im sure it will be fine.

Well since this thread is from a year ago I'm going to guess the issue worked itself out one way or the other. ;)

Well since this thread is from a year ago I'm going to guess the issue worked itself out one way or the other. ;)

I found this when i was serching for the same answer. I figured the more "thats normal" answers might help someone else searching the same thing in the future... he never said it turnd out fine (bet its already gone too!). I also tend to search on my phone and miss the dates on posts.

Just for update beer was great.. I made another 5 gal and was very good again... it's normal

Latest posts

Back