Chocolate stout addition suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
I will be brewing N. Brewer's chocolate stout later this fall. Last time I did it, I loved it. The only thing I did different than the recipe was that I soaked the cacoa nibs in vanilla vodka before racking, which I think really helped. In addition to doing that, I will also be making the kit with my first attempt at harvested/washed yeast. I'll be using Danstar Windsor Ale yeast from N. Brewer's Caribou Slobber I'll be brewing before. Two questions: 1) Do you think that yeast will work well with the chocolate stout and 2) what other chocolate additions have you had success with besides cacoa nibs? I will be using the nibs again and don't want chocolate overload, but experimenting is half of the fun of the hobby, right?

I'd suggest you limit your experimentation to one variable, either the washed yeast or a different variation on the chocolate like using cocoa instead of the cacao nibs. Otherwise you won't know what made the beer really good or really bad.

That's good advice - hadn't really thought of the "2 variable" possible problem. Guess this time around it'll be the harvested yeast and try something else next year with it.

I used 150g (about 5.5 - 6 oz) cocoa in a stout at flameout. Gave a very subtle chocolate flavour in the finish. Similar to the bitterness of a quality dark (75-80%) chocolate. Planning to modify the recipe for a couple different reasons, but I'll be probably double the cocoa content among other things.

Back