Chocolate peanut butter stout- process info request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfgrass

Reaction score
Hello!

I have all of the ingredients to get going on this next brew, but I'm not completely sure about the steps required after fermentation completes. Your feedback will determine which ferment vessel I use directly after the boil. I have 5 gallon carboys and (2) 2.5 gallon brew buckets. I'm considering the carboy initially and then transferring to the 2 brew buckets to experiment with cocoa nib and peanut butter flavoring by Apex. I also have 1 5 gallon keg and (2) 2.5 gallon kegs for transfer afterwards. What has worked best for you? Thanks in advance.

I recently did a Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter. I made a tincture with 8oz of cocoa nibs and 275mL of vodka. Let that sit for about 4 days, shaking it when I walked past. I filter the tincture to remove the cocoa nibs and added it to the keg. Making a tincture would give you the option to slowly add it until the taste is at a point you're happy with.

I then added 4oz of the Brewers Best Peanut Butter Flavoring to the keg. Aroma is great and taste is good. Next time I make it I'll add 1 or 2 vanilla beans to the tincture to try to get more of a milk chocolate flavor.

Last edited:
I would recommend to brew a beer instead. How about a porter or stout as you have all the stuff you need on hand :) these beers are nice.

I'd consider making a porter instead of a stout. Stouts require roasted barley - it's the defining flavor of a stout. Roasted barley flavor is kinda strong, like coffee, and IMO will clash with the other flavors you're attempting to add to this beer.

Also, consider using extracts to get the flavors, instead of actual peanut butter. It's far easier and you'll have much greater chance for success. I do understand the desire to brew it all from basic ingredients, like peanuts. I've made a peanut butter porter several times using these extracts and every time I'm told it's superior to the commercial ones (e.g., Sweet Baby Jesus). If you're interested, check out the link below. I use peanut butter cup. Might be available on Amazon (Apex sells these under the brand Silver Cloud Flavorings there).

https://www.apexflavors.com/Beverage-Industry/Craft-Brewing

I recently did a Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter. I made a tincture with 8oz of cocoa nibs and 275mL of vodka. Let that sit for about 4 days, shaking it when I walked past. I filter the tincture to remove the cocoa nibs and added it to the keg. Making a tincture would give you the option to slowly add it until the taste is at a point you're happy with.

I then added 4oz of the Brewers Best Peanut Butter Flavoring to the keg. Aroma is great and taste is good. Next time I make it I'll add 1 or 2 vanilla beans to the tincture to try to get more of a milk chocolate flavor.
It has only been a day, but I added 4oz of Brewer's Best Cacao Nibs and 5 oz of vodka into a flask. Swirling it whenever I look at it.

Back