Chocolate and/or vanilla in a brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bCash

Reaction score
I'm relatively new at brewing and only do extract brewing at this point. I have a nut brown ale kit from northern brewer and I'd like to add a little chocolate flavor to it (almost just an aftertaste, not very strong) but after reading through several threads I'm not sure of the best way to do it.

I've read that I can add cocoa nibs to the secondary, I can put cocoa nibs in vodka and add all of that to the secondary, I can add cocoa powder to the secondary, or I can add some of it at the end of the boil. And apparently vanilla beans help bring out the chocolate flavor?

Also, everything I've read on the subject is for stouts and porters and I'm looking for help with a brown ale.

So, anyone out there able to help a simple extract brewer like myself?

I wonder if steeping a little chocolate malt might get the flavor you are looking for.

I thought Chocolate malt was called "Chocolate" as a result of its color and had nothing to do with the flavor it gave. But as an extract brewer, I have no idea.

I added cacao nibs (Ghana) to a NB Bavarian Hefeweizen - tested great after one week and as of tomorrow, it'll be two weeks in secondary. 1 and a 1/2 ounces nibs direct to the secondary with one gallon of the Hefe. I bottled the other 4 gallons without the treatment.

Thank you Rob, that's the info I'm looking for.

you put 1.5 oz in one gallon? Was the chocolate taste strong or more of an aftertaste?

I was making a red ale and added 300 gm chocolate malt and 1 pack of irish ale yeast from w-yeast per 5 gallon batch. the flavour was very raw for the first 6 weeks but became awesome at 2 and a half months in the bottle. great head retention and a nice expresso/chocolate finish. If I were to do this recipe again I would add cocoa not sure how much but I think it would be arround 1 floz per batch.

Good Luck

Back